2V Dyno Results - Part 1 & 2

My ignorance has come through for me again, I did not know a Dizzy was a points style distrubutor, things make alot more sense know. Thanks for the education.

Looking forward to the modified log tests! I've always maintained that its worth 25-35 HP gain over a 1 Bbl carb.

Now I can see if I was right or not. :oops: :D

Later,

Doug

I thought blondes were dizzy headed and red head were hot headed?

:LOL:

Thanks for the information Mike and the car owners. I wish I had my fresh 200 cid engine in the ol Falcon.

I still need a few parts ... push rods for the adjustable rockers being one item.

8)

Excellent food for thought - Awesome info, thanks all around! I'd be glad to donate a little to help with expenses, is there a paypal or better way to do so?

My $.02:
1. Any electronic ignition is going to be leaps and bounds better than points, especially a LOM.
2. Between an 1100 and a HW5200, I found the HW5200 had MUCH more stable air/fuel ratios, especially as the rpm's climbed. The 1100 would jump around pretty wildly between 14-19 at highway speeds, even though you wouldn't have known it without an afr gauge. The HW5200 also gave better mileage, 24 vs 20. fwiw.

I'm still curious about two little things, just for info's sake:
1. What jets are in the Weber? (so we can add it to the jetting sticky)
2. What is the ignition curve of the DUI?

You know, in your spare time... :roll:

I posted elsewhere about my Holley Weber tale of horror. I suspect mine is more than a tad lean, with 130 & 140 jets. I could read my plugs by the Braille method.
BlackWhitePlugs003.jpg
BlackWhitePlugs004.jpg

Looking forward to the modified log tests! I've always maintained that its worth 25-35 HP gain over a 1 Bbl carb.

I hope it is true too. But who is to say how much of it is due to the direct mount and how much of it is the larger valves and the additional head work. We've seen that just the cam upgrade improves breathing and generates more HP. But the important thing may be that it could indicate a big bang for the buck per HP.
Doug

Man, this is killer. Tiered performance improvements with the dyno documentation to show the progression is achieved.

Edit: Sorry, strayed off topic

Great info, as jamyers said "Excellent food for thought", and greatly appreciated.

Howdy Back Robert:

Here is a quick answer to your queries. You really need to start a new post when you are off topic. This Dyno research needs to stand alone for what it is. It is that important. You've raised some good questions that need answers. Please don't think me rude for the suggestion, but it is that important to me. Sorry, in advance, If I've offended you.

A Dual point distributor was made and marketed by Mallory for small sixes, along with an electronic unit. I do not know if it is still available. It was Centrigfugal advance only, IIRC- no vacuum advance.

A dual point distributor will be about twice as effective as a single point distributor, becaust of double the coil saturation time. It is no where as effective as either the DS II or the DUI electronic units which have both vacuum and centrifugal advance.

A distributor with both Centrifugal and Vacuum advance are almost always better then one or the other. At WOT max centrifugal advance is all in by about 3,000rpm and Vacuum advance is all but gone if the engine is properly carbureted. At idle and mid ranges, the Vacuum advance helps driveability and economy.

Let's stick to this Dyno comparison subject please.

Adios, David

Mike - Will you have time to scan and post the dyno run charts from the 200? All we have are the peak numbers and I think the curves might be interesting since the peaks were achieved at 2,500-2,600 RPM on the 250 and almost 2,000 RPM higher on the 200.

I'll get them posted shortly. Just busy. ;)

FWIW, a GM module (which AFAIK is the same module used in the DUI) can be purchased at any parts store for ~ $20. There is really very little physical difference between the DUI and DSII, other than location of the coil. One advantage of the DSII is that rotors and caps can be easily bought at any parts store.

First, the DUI uses a DYNA module, which is made by Performance Distributors, and differs from a GM unit as it has more dwell. The DSII is a cast dizzy, while the DUI is billet (big difference). The DSII has a small single bushing, while the DUI has a full length bushing. The HEI rotors and caps are just as easy to find, if not easier.

UPDATE: I've been working on a new section for my website, which I called "The Dyno Room". I still have a lot of info to add/edit, but it's getting there. However, I did get the graphs for Part II posted.

Enjoy...... ;)

http://classicinlines.com/dynoroom.asp

graphs
http://classicinlines.com/Dyno6.asp

Extremely interesting info. A great big THANKS!

I received an email from Steve Corder, in which he also tells me the AFRs were pretty close to stoich all the way. I notice on the Weber/DUI you hit peak HP twice. I haven't seen that many dyno charts, but that one seems intriguing to me, since the torque curve doesn't show corresponding peaks.

So is Dyno Test # 6 the sequel to Dyno #3 as shown on the website? The Holley used in the test is mounted on a stack of different adapters, right?

inline300":348zb8jg said:
Suprised HP and TQ average isnt listed for each configuaration.

Now that you mention it I supose I should post them, especially for the 2V carb swaps.

Back