All Small Six 221 SP Argentina ford sixi

This relates to all small sixes

cliffcarey68

I just rescued an Argentina 221 SP Ford 6 that was about to be scrapped. It is a complete engine with aluminum spider style intake, Holley 2 barrel carb, and chrome Ford valve cover. It also has acastiron bellhousing and a 4 speed trans. That looks like a Saginaw(?). My question concerns the availability of parts: gaskets, seals, rings, bearings etc. And what if any parts will cross over from the 200 or 250 engines. Thanks for any help! Cliff.

Congratulations cliffcarey68, that's an excellent score! I have only seen a few pictures of these engines and have also sturdy'ed all their specs I also know that it was Ford's practice to use many of the same parts for their many different engine sizes both here in the USA as well as in other countries. So there should be quite a bit of parts interchangeability between the 221 and the US 200 & 250 engines a few of the parts like the Piston Rings since they share the same size Bore For all 3 engines. The Rod and Main Bearings likely might be like those used on the 250's. From what I have learned the 221 block uses the wider camshaft spacing that was used on the US 250 Six short blocks. This would mean that the Timing Chain / Gear set should fit, there are 4 versions of these with the 1969 to 1972 being the best of the lot. Probably the 250 Oil Pump will also fit, all the 250 Gaskets for the Short block and most the others as well as the Head Gasket should fit, the Intake Gasket though will be a 221 only item. The Pistons could be a 200 or 250 Compression Height so that will need to be measured. The 221 Crankshaft Stroke is a one of a kind but if you wanted to use a 250 Crank for more stroke might be able to fit no idea which Connecting Rod or Piston would be needed but likely it would need to be a custom made one to fit into their shorter deck height of the block. Valves, Rocker Arms, Distributors, and Valve Covers should interchange. The Intake Manifolds are one of a kind, I don't know if the Exhaust Manifolds / Headers will interchange I suspect that they will. Would you take some good pictures of your 221? Best of luck on your 221 Six rebuild.

Thankyou for the valuable info. on the 221 SP. I was not at all familiar with this particular engine and was intrigued when I looked it up. I've always been a 240/ 300 guy and have several of those set up for dragracing. I'll take some pics. Of the 221SP and transmission and get them on here. I'm thinking it may find a home in my '52 Anglia. :)

Interesting engine. If you could put up some pics of head and inlet manifold.

The 221 was also a ford australia engine (but with the std log head - ie WITHOUT the special head and removable inlet) so can get any 221 specific parts from aust). If i recall correctly its only the timing chain. (For Aust 221's,)

The exhaust manifolds have a different pattern.
The 221 has a taller deck than the 200 but shorter than the 250.
If you are lucky you have the 221 SP version.
The one piece intake-exhaust manifold gasket my be hard to get in the US.
Argentina also had log head 221 and 188 engines,
There was also a 221 max econo.
"1973 A sporting Falcon Sprint was introduced with new refreshing color schemes, painted stripes, 14-inch sports wheels and E70x14 red-striped Firestone Wide-Tread tires were standard and a higher performance 166 bhp (124.5 kW) specially tuned 3.6-litre (221 cid) engine."
Six cylinder Argentine Falcons had 5 lugs.

Last edited:
It looks very compleate! The Head gaskets are easy to get it's going to be the same as a US 200 or 250 Six.

Well I would say you really scored on finding and saving that SP 221, and finding it here US there just can't be all that many that ever made it into the States.

Back