226 front crank/damper seal

48 F3 Joe

I'm looking for a front damper seal. Any info would be appreciated. I've checked with most of the old car parts sites, and not coming up with any thing that's certain. will a rear rope seal work if shortened?

Thanks, Joe

Hi Joe, the correct Ford Part Number for that front seal is 1GA6700A .. Packing-Front Cover and it Fits the 1941 to 1951 226 Inline Six's. Best Gaskets includes them in the Front Timing Cover Set GS-11045 for the Ford 1947L to 1951 226 H-Series. Yes the Rear Rope Seal is exactly the same the seal size they are just cut the length to fit. Their Part number is 2244 for both the Front and Rear Rope Seals, and the Full Engine Gasket set includes 4 of them. By way as a side note Best Gaskets has recently made a brand new Rope Seal design that is greatly improved over the older ones and many of the Ford Flathead V8 guys now swear by them hopefully the one for the Flathead Six's are also of this new design material. Here is the list of all the Companies that sell Best Gaskets. https://bestgasket.com/distributors/ Good luck in the hunt.

Ordered the front timing cover gasket and seal kit from Olson's Gaskets in Port Orchard WA. this morning. Part in stock. Sent out today. Easy to do business with.

Thanks for your help, Joe

Update: Installed the Best Gasket seal today. I've installed many rope seals, but this was the toughest. It is the newest style and it is stiff. It has to be squeezed narrower to fit into the groove and takes a lot of effort to form it in place. Don't even think about trying to use a Sneaky Pete with this type of seal. For certain it will not leak.
48 F3 Joe

Back