All Small Six Fuel economy - Update

This relates to all small sixes
Wow John, that is outstanding it's truly getting more dialed in now and getting really close to what the little 144 six's used to get. Maybe you could try a little more Base timing like 2 to 6 Degrees and see what that does. Congrats!

the ninteen I get some.
The 23 is very good. AK Miller did...
Go for excellent, dude!
Use all my 6'n then some?

ever search Mr. MPGs threads here on this topic (a mustang 6)?
They may have more'n 6 ideas (o0OP, add 'alighnment')...

Wow John, that is outstanding it's truly getting more dialed in now and getting really close to what the little 144 six's used to get. Maybe you could try a little more Base timing like 2 to 6 Degrees and see what that does. Congrats!
My base timing is 17° now. I've tried a bit more but it wasn't as happy at lower speeds so I pulled it back to 17
ever search Mr. MPGs threads here on this topic (a mustang 6)?
They may have more'n 6 ideas (o0OP, add 'alighnment')...
Yes, I have looked at those threads, thanks!

"...Yes, I have looked at those threads, thanks!..."
He eventually bought a coupla bronks, then laid back a good bit.

Was there anything of use in those threads? It's been awhile since I saw them. Mike was stilll around...

Was there anything of use in those threads? It's been awhile since I saw them. Mike was stilll around...
I don't remember too much about that - it's been a while since I looked at it, had a hard time finding it the first time and can't seem to find it again - but yes, I did read it. I'd already done the obvious things (alignment, gentle driving, etc.) but didn't implement some of the suggestions (like upping tire pressure to the maximum sidewall value). IIRC there were some other kinda esoteric, complicated things that I didn't do either.

I'm actually very happy and content with what I have now. "Good enough is good enough" - and now it's good enough. :)

Can't thank you all enough for helping me to get here.

Been watching this and 23.1 is pretty darn good I would think. That could get better when the rebuilt 250 breaks-in well?

Have you checked your jets in the carb? Haven't read all the responses but my GL1000 goldwing had an issue very similar. Mine were 8 sizes larger than factory.

Have you checked your jets in the carb? Haven't read all the responses but my GL1000 goldwing had an issue very similar. Mine were 8 sizes larger than factory.
I have checked the ones on the RBS that was originally on the car (the one giving me 12 mpg) - they're apparently pressed in or something. I could not get them out. The new RBS I got from Rock Auto has the same jets (and gave me the 23 mpg) but I didn't mess with them, given my experience with the other carb.

Last edited:
Been watching this and 23.1 is pretty darn good I would think. That could get better when the rebuilt 250 breaks-in well?
I think it should be broken in. It has about 2100 miles since the rebuild. I was careful driving it the first 500 miles - no constant speeds, kept the engine under 2500 rpm, no wide-open throttle, etc. I put a zinc additive in the first oil fill. Changed oil and filter around 1000 miles. It has 10-30 Castrol in it now.

I was thinkin something could be done w/
'pressed in' jets. Have not fooled around w/it tho
as I've not really got it running, in the testing phase yet.
Thinkin 23 mph is good to shoot for and might B 2 or 3 more
MPGs to wring out in a sedan/coup...

Oil is not 1 I've though bout but sure is an influencer...
"...How many we got now...7 or 8?
Let's C:
1) a lill over inflation on tire
2) good w. bearings, no break drag
3) no other drag (a/c or other 'accessories') or roof racks, etc
4) tune (vac &/or A/F ratio gauge use)
5) air, fuel filters
6) plugs..."

May B an accessable list like Schjeldahl bro's has some we left off?
What else?

Back