250 oil pan mods

69stang_250

VIP
Hey guys, any of you mod the oil pan on your builds?
I remember reading some where that it's a good idea to increase the oil capacity over the stock.
Do any of you have any input on this?

Thanks guys

I C the aftermrkt ones for the other motors in the on-line catalogues (Ford Racing, Moroso, Kevko, Canton, Milodon, Holley).
Windage trays, baffles, deep sump, trap doors, rear sump, crank wipers (I guess that's last 1's higher than the pan) can B added.

I know of several done to our 250s when placed into Broncos (it has a frnt chunk as well as the typical "third member' in the rear that's in danger of contact w/the pan).
One, they wacked off the frnt corner & brazed (or miged) a plate across the opening,
*Another the whole pan was cut offa the 'ring" (top, bolt up 'flange" - all the way around) & attached to the 250's
another method - a sheet of mild steel was 'rolled' inta 1/2 tube , attached to the two long sides of the 'ring', & a flat frnt/back attached.
Finally, some R simply 'adjusted' w/a BFH (while on an anvil, scrap engine block or in the vehicle itself) to 'cave in' under controlled measures rather than by the frnt differential under uncontrolled conditions (i.e., a mistake).

Many of the guys can fab up 'anything'.
If U wanna increase capacity U may want to lengthen the p/u tube as well. Most R designed to suck the oil up offa the 'floor' of the pan (1/8th - 1/4 inch above).

* I may use a 170 or 200 (rear sump) pan attached to the frnt sump 250's 'bolt ring' in this bronk (& 1 of those longer rear sump's pick up tube/screen).
Can U add any more specificity 2 yer Q?

Yep I have modded many oil pans over the years from simply dropping the sump and adding some balfeling to keep the oil around the oil pump pickup to full race oil pans with multiple trap doors. Good luck :nod:

C?
bubba's a true Fabricator

How many Qts do U want to increase it to?
Y? Will it B @ hi revs all the time?

Not very often, but I do plan on bringing it to the drag strip from time to time.

I just want to add another quart worth of oil pan in there.

Anyone have measurements or know off hand what the distance between the oil pickup and the floor of the pan is?

Do y'all have any pics of moded 6 oil pans that would fit in a 69 mustang?

Also, would it be better to put a baffle in the oil pan? Or fab up a windage tray?

Thanks guys! On the down hill finishing this car as a whole and I'm just finishing up the small details now.

Since building most of my 6 bangers with Trans Am suspension had issues with oil pressure drop around corners even taking it easy. Added a T pan set up to mine with trap doors and all and modded the pump relief spring with a couple shims. Back then there were no performance parts for the small ford 6s.

Do not miss putting a hole for the dip stick, in the tray :banghead: The dip stick deflected off of the tray into crank, thought I left a rod bolt loose on start up. :shock:

Do you guys have a sump kit you like to use?
I have a local hot rod shop doing the welding for me, I'm just trying to figure out all of the measurements needed.
The oil pan was bent in on the bottom and you can see where the pickup had a groove worn in to it. So I'm not sure exactly what the distance should be from the pickup to the pan floor. Do any of you guys have pics of your oil pan mods?

I hear mixed suggestions on the pan floor to p/u distance. I'll stick w/bubs' recommendation from this forum at 'less than a 1/4 inch'
(I think he said, PM him, he's open to that). Windage trays, baffels and doors - he's got it down.
:nod:

That is the info I'm looking for. Y'all don't know the deepest we can make the 250 oil pan using the stock oil pump and pickup do y'all?

I'd say it's @ it's current. To deeped needs a different p/u tube and onea doze custom pans. Some have bent the p/u but I don't like that method much. There are rear sump 200 pans that have a longer tube I'd use. You probably know the 'screen' it the same for all of them (stock). I've been unable to match diamiters of other stock tubes to the screen so measurements need made and a tube fashoned from plumbing supply or other materiel. The pan can be braised up from flat stock as well. Again, I'd keep the 'bolt up ring" & braze the other materiel to that.

The bronk needs some (pieces, not extreme measures) of these approaches to create the best sump when swappin the 250 in...

chad":kw4q864d said:
I hear mixed suggestions on the pan floor to p/u distance. I'll stick w/bubs' recommendation from this forum at 'less than a 1/4 inch'
(I think he said, PM him, he's open to that). Windage trays, baffels and doors - he's got it down.
:nod:

If I REMEMBER correctly its more like 3/8 of an inch in FordS ENGINE DESIGN COOK BOOK. 1/4" MIGHT BE BOARDING ON TOO CLOSE.

roger! I need to look that up again as I've not gotten that far in the wrk yet.
thanx !
Double chk ~

69stang_250":2xiukl48 said:
Not very often, but I do plan on bringing it to the drag strip from time to time.

I just want to add another quart worth of oil pan in there.

Anyone have measurements or know off hand what the distance between the oil pickup and the floor of the pan is?

Do y'all have any pics of moded 6 oil pans that would fit in a 69 mustang?

Also, would it be better to put a baffle in the oil pan? Or fab up a windage tray?

Thanks guys! On the down hill finishing this car as a whole and I'm just finishing up the small details now.

Sorry I don't have any pictures but there was one that Wsa111 (Bill) had posted a while back showing the baffling in his street performance oil pan. It was in a post about a Fairmont (Lemons race car) I think it was called "Why do we keeping blowing motors?". In my OPINION for any Performance car use its much more important that you first have the baffling in the oil pan to always keep the oil around the pickup tube during acceleration, braking and also when cornering at speed. A windage tray or crank scraper could then be beneficial after that to maybe gain a bit of extra power. You can get your extra oil capacity by dropping the sump 1 1/4 to 2 inches if you have the ground clearance or by using the T pan kit that Turbo2256b mentioned in his above post. You can check the distance of the oil pickup tube off the bottom of the oil pan by using the old "Modeling Clay" method like when your checking the piston to valve clearance. Good luck :nod:

Found the link that has Wsa111 oil pan and some other pictures
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72474&hilit=Why+do+we+keep

You guys are awesome! I forgot about that thread! I remember reading all of it and forgot the oil pan mod pics were on there.
Do you guys have any idea if that sump kit on speedway motors web site fits well on the bottom of our oil pans? I'm sure it does, but just wonder if there are any issues with it?

Any of you guys know the measurement from the base of the oil pump to the oil pickup?
I'm just trying to get an idea so the oil pan sump isn't too deep or too shallow and the pick hit the pan floor.
I would measure myself however I do not have the oil pan or oil pump and pickup here.

Thanks guys!

"...hit the pan floor…"
gotta B 3/8 inch up offa the 'floor'.

I got that, but I'm just wondering so we can make sure we have the floor at the right depth.
The oil pan currently has a dent right where the oil pump pickup sat and I trying to get measurements to go off of to make sure the pickup has addiquite room between its self and the floor.

some would place it on a hard flat surface and use a dolly or smooth hammer (most R 'crowned') to "re-flatten".
/OR/
R U going to place a deeper sump and longer p/u tube in it?
(I may have U mixed up w/another member/thread).

I am planning on doing mine similer to mustanggeezers oil pan. I know that there is a slight upward angle to the rear of the sump due to the way the engine sits in the car. I am planning on just making it flat and even on the bottom.

Back