262 valve cover

A

Anonymous

i think i was told sometime ago that the 262 valve cover had like 6 or more bolts holdin it down wheres the 223 had only 2 nuts holdin it down from the top. is this how u identify em as the motor is a 61 and he told me it was a 223

in my 62 parts book the part # for a 223 block is C1AE6010M - the262 is C1TE6010C both the 223 & 262 valve cover gaskets have 8 holes in then.

if thats the case how come my 223 has only 2 nuts holdin it down and not any holes in the sides for the bolts, they only ran the motor a few yrs i cant imagine theyd change all the covers every yr

A 223 head can be used on a 262. The earlier ones have to have the head-bolt holes reamed out so that they can take the larger head-bolts that the 262 & later 223s used. Are you sure you have a 262?
Edwin

I have 2 223's, one 2 bolt and one with (i thought 8, maybe 6) bolts.

I believe the difference had to do with the year. I thought 1960 and older was 2 bolts, 1961 and newer was 6-8.

Does the block have a road draft tube?

-Cal

yes the 223 has one for certain and i was told it was a 64 223 engine by the serial #on the block 68 u 5 ebp 6015-h
the new motor i picked up i havent seen just yet its en route and its serial is ciae 6015-k
the first one has only the 2 nuts on top and the new one has 6 or 8 i guess , my dad described it to me via phone

That engine is not a 1964. ;)

The 1964 has 8 bolts for hte valve cover and no road draft tube. The head bolts themselves are smaller than a 64 as well. I'm not sure what year they stopped using the road draft tube,but i'v seen trucks without as early as 1961. I'll see if I can dig up my notes when I get home from work.

-Cal

well ok now im completely confuse :shock: :eek: i didnt really care what yr it was, the wrecker i bought it from said it was a 61 so i guess short of god comin down and telling me exactly what it is ill just shove it in and drive it till it drops then drop a v8 in it if i can find one with a front engine mount or figure out what to do bout getting a side mounted engine in it

Classif performance parts sells kits to put newer V8's into our classics, as does jc whitney.

I'm getting ready (in the new year) to put a late 90's fuel injected 351w into my '62 F100, with a new computer controlled AOD transmission. I'll probably use an engine/tranny out of a late 90's F150 or Bronco.

well i was thinking of perhaps droppin the twin turbo v6 out of a nissan 300 zx with the mating 5 spd tranny into an older ford pickup, personally i think thatd b more bizarre and respectable than a common run of the mill american/mexican drivetrain, what with the reliability of them lil rice rocket drivetrains n allplus its alot easier to decipher wtf u got lol, im eyeballing a complete 46 ford 1/2 ton with the stepside box sittin in a field across from me. its complete down to the perfect glass in it and from lookin it over the body looks nice and solid to,, cant find to many american v6s thall drop 240 hp stock, only set back is the wiring confusion lolwhich might force me to go with the toyota straight 6 out of a supra with the 5 spd and carberator instead, to many ppl droppin chev junk in everything , oh well maybe ill b a martyr for american body styling and jap drivetrains , dont shun me lol

I chose the setup I am looking at based on long term dependability, torque, and use offroad.

The 351w is based on the same block as the ford 302, but its got bigger main journals and more webbing in the block. The ford 4R70W transmission is automatic overdrive, but wide ratio to give me good low range for starting out with a load or crawling offroad.. EFI on the 351 would help my mpg alot, and the whole setup would let me run higher speeds at lower rpm's and make driving more comfortable. There is an aftermarket computer I can pick up for $400 that just plugs right into the engine/tranni, manages the efi and electronic shifting for you. It just requires 3 wires out from the computer - ignition, coil, and i think tac, i forget now. :)

All around its a good deal for me.

I dug up some info while trying to identify a 223 I bought. The block casting numbers I found for 1961-1964 were C1AE and C3AE. It should have 1/2" head bolts. The valve cover will have eight bolts around the base and will be stamped FORD in block letters.

Hope this helps!

Back