All Small Six '67 Mustang stalls after Clifford headers w/ dual Magna-Flow exhaust installed

This relates to all small sixes
Problem solved! It was kind of a vacuum leak and a fuel issue: my carburetor was quite loose where it bolts to the top of the manifold. Once I tightened it down, the car runs and idles, though I do need to tinker with the idle speed and the mixture dial on the side of the carb. It runs a little faster then a little slower, a little faster then a little slower.

Just returned from a "victory lap" around Princeton and it really has some get-up-and-go off the line. There doesn't seem to be that lag I used to have when pressing the accelerator. And it sounds grrrreat!
You might want to go and get or order a new carb base gasket or a set if the car still has the stock carb spacer those two old gaskets maybe dried out and hard / brittle or cracked so they won't seal very good. A hunting engine that speeds up then slows down can still be a sign of a vacuum leak. Congrats on finding the problem.

No electric choke; it has/had the hot air tube from the manifold to the carb. The Clifford header does not have a port in which to insert that tube (right now the tube is on the passenger side floor.)
You can buy a length of copper tubing and bend it or wrap it around the header so it's bringing hot air to the choke.

yup, "...Use some steel brake / fuel line or one of the aluminum choke repair kits (from Help section of your local auto parts store) than coil the new line severial times around one of the center header tubes be sure to use the stock type insulation sock around the top part of the tube from just above the header all the way up to the carb hookup so it retains the heat...." bub's comment.
"Help" is a peg board with blow pac cards in yellow, red, green, white'n black. All sorta goodies: those odd starter bolts, flex plate'n FW bolts, the w.shield's spray nozzles sit on the hood, carb spring assortment - lotsa oem compliant 'trinkets'...

Back