All Small Six 67 vs 68 I6

This relates to all small sixes
hello,

i currently have a 68 mustang with the I6, when i got the car the original engine had been pulled apart buy the previous owner and has some rust in the cylinder and is missing some pieces ( a set of valves, and all of the push rods. )

ive located a I6 running in a 67 that i feel would be cheaper / easier to just swap in than taking the original to a machine shop to be rebuilt.

Question:
1. Are there any big differences between the 67 and 68 6 that would hold me up?
2. once i get the car back together and down the road looking for upgrades would i need to search for 67 specific parts or would 68 parts fit the 67 200?

Thanks in advance! i spent a while looking on the internet and the forum but didn't find anything that specifically address my situation.

Use the 68 distributor & carburator cause it is not a loadmatic design. The DS11 recurved for your engine would be a big improvement but would be costly with the ignition box & coil.
Let your wallet be the guide. Bill wsa111

As wsa11 said replace the 67 carburetor and distributor with the ones from your 68.
It should be a direct drop-in. 68 parts will fit a 67.

There may be a minor difference in the exhaust manifolds. The '67 could have a 1-3/4" outlet and exhaust pipe, depending on the transmission, and the '68 should have a 2" outlet and exhaust pipe. They are easily swapped though.

Use the 68 distributor & carburator cause it is not a loadmatic design. The DS11 recurved for your engine would be a big improvement but would be costly with the ignition box & coil.
Let your wallet be the guide. Bill wsa111
Thank you for the information, much appreciated!

Back