A LITTLE HELP HERE

A

Anonymous

HOWDY BOYS, BRAND NEW HERE
I'VE GOT A 65 FALCON I'M GETTING READY TO WORK ON. (200) ASSUMING IT'S ALL ORIGINAL,I'M WONDERING WHAT IS THE COMPRESSION RATIO,HOW MUCH SHOULD I MILL THE HEAD TO MAKE UP FOR THE NEW HEAD GASKET,DO I HAVE THE BIG CARB HOLE,IS THERE A HEAD THAT IS BETTER THAN THIS ONE? I CAN'T AFFORD TO GO AUSSI.
I DON'T HAVE THE FALCON PERFORMANCE BOOK...YET

THANKS GUYS I'M WAY TOO LAZY TO GO BACK THROUGH ALL THE OLD POSTS. ;)

Get "the book". Do yourself a favor and don't start the project B4 you have read it 2 or 3 times. Save yourself a lot of trouble and money by having a overall plan when you start.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the "book" plug.

Simpleman, welcome to the forum.

IF your head is stock, you do not have the "big" carb hole. The big hole started in late 1969.

Yes, the later (D7 to E0) heads are better for several reasons. They have larger intake valves. They have hardened seats for modern gasoline. They have a larger port volume. They have a larger carb hole.

A down side is they have a larger combustion chamber (approx 62 cc) compared to the '65 combustion chamber of 52cc. You'll need to mill to allow for the thicker gasket and to reduce the combustion chamber.

My guess is that you'll have to mill .020 to .025 for the head gasket difference. For the larger combustion chamber, we estimate approxmately 2cc for every .010 so you'll meed to mill another .050 to bring the chamber to 52cc.

The only way to know exactly is to get the gaskets and measure them - then cc the head. Remember that the late model head may have already been milled in a previous rebuild - that's why you need to learn how to cc.

For the '65 specs, click on the link in my signature and go to our web site.
Once there, click on "Falcon 6 Facts" in the left margin. You might also want to play with the compression calculator. It is pre set to a stock '65 200. Click "calculate" at the bottom of the page. Change the combustion chamber cc to 62 and then click "recalculate". You'll get the idea.

One more thing. Even though Ford ADVERTISED 52 cc chambers and a set compression ratio - they were most often inaccurate. That's why we have 55cc in our example.

Good Luck

Back