Aluminum Head Update 8/28/06

I've weighed the logs at about 75lbs complete, without valve cover or exhaust manifold. A crossflow aluminum head weighs 41lbs without manifolds.

I think its rather important that we compare apples to apples here guys. Since the log head is a combined intake manifold and head, we need to compare its weight to that of the OZ head plus the OZ intake manifold. If you want to compare the weight of Mike's new head to that of the OZ head, then that's a straight comparison also. But you can't compare Mike's new head without an intake manifold to the log head; that would be apples to oranges.

new guy here. Just wondering if there is any kind of ball park on how much $$$ the Alu head is gonna run ($1k, $2k, $3k??). I already acquired a 250 head for the 200 in my wife's 66 stang coupe, but have yet to get it all nicey'd up. Just wondering how much i would have to drop on the alu head vs getting the 250 head up and running (local engine shop charges around $300-400 to go throughand make it nice. and they do killer work). I know the Aluminum head isnt gonna be cheap, just wondering if i should save the $$ i would through at the used 250 and pile it up for the aluminum head?

i would definently save ur money and wait for the aluminum head cause u will get much more performance and the choice of intakes from 2brl to 4brl to fuel injected and many in between

This head has me very intrigued. I have a 67 mustang i6 car, and I was going to drop an EFI 5.0L into it, but now Im interested in putting an EFI i6 turbo in.

I read this whole thread and checked out classicinlines.com but I dont remember seeing the answer to this question.

Will this head be a bare head for $1500ish or will it come assembled with valves and springs and such?

From what I understand, the completed head will be approximately $1,500 or so.
This is with valves, springs, rockers, etc.
That ballpark does NOT include the intake manifold or carburetion or EFI.
That is what I understand, but that's just based on discussions here. Hopefully Mike from Classic Inlines can verify and provide some better details...

Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I am alittle confused about the new head/intake and hope that maybe someone can clear it up for me. so here goes:

Since the stock head/intake are one solid casting ,why would the new aluminum head and intake be made and sold seperate? Since you cant have one without the other. Also if the heads will be ready for sale earlier than the intake what will or can it be bolted up to in the meantime?

Anyway I appoligize in advance if this question has already been answered I have not been able to find this info.

and by the way this forum rocks!!

thanks alot, Jason

jason,

mike patterned the OZ intake flange on his heads so IF you already have an iron OZ head you can directly replace it with his. this was done so that he could sell intakes to the OZ guys and to make gaskets cheaper (off the shelf items)

I am real proud of mike for this head. a guy on turbo ford drew up a DOHC using mostly factory parts (from other cars) but wasn't sure on the portchamber design but then found out it was goig to cost an arm and a leg to have them made (would need a new cam cover, custom cams, LOTS of machining) basicly he just said it was economical...plus people are swapping on volvo heads with little effort now.

Mike(Azcoupe) wont be selling the heads until after the first batch of intakes has been made and ready for sale he said the first batch of 10 heads will go to people on the forum who have the OZ-250 heads which r australian heads which is wut this aluminum head is based off of so the intakes for that will bolt up to the aluminum head so for testing purposes he is gonna give those 10 people the head to use with the intake they have from the OZ-250 heads

i hope that cleared it up for u some

Thanks,
That makes it quite a bit clearer and I cant wait to see the feedback from the guys testing them.

The cost will be somewhere between $1000 and $1500. We still have to get all our development cost nailed down, as well as shipping and packaging. Once we have a total on the figures, and a good estimation on how many we think will sell, we can figure out the price.

But before this can happen, we need to test several heads to make sure we don't have any unforeseen issues. If there is a problem and we need to modify or (worst case senerio) remake the patterns, the development cost can escalate rapidly. Hopefully we got everything right the first time through, but we won't know for sure until they are tested.

The cost will include a fully machined head, guides, and valves. The rockers will be optional as many of our customers already have their prefered rocker assemblies. Springs will also be optional, as spring rates are dependant on cam selection. Even then each customer may have his own preferance. And some cam manufacturer's require the use of their springs, for cam waranty.

Intakes will be additional, as we plan to offer various types, which will be priced accordingly. A triple Webber intake will be much cheaper to produce, than a plenum intake with a single throttle body, or the intake we are designing for the M90 Procharger. However, the pricing will be kept reasonable. I'm guessing the 4V intake to be around $200 bucks. We may even offer a bare head, but haven't decided yet.

Quantity has a huge impact on pricing. The more we produce, the better pricing we get from the machinist, and the foundry (both on the heads and the intakes). Plus the R&D cost can be spread out considerably if we sell 1000 (verses 100) which makes a big differance when figuring the final cost.

But were getting very close, so hang in there a bit longer. ;)

So it sounds like the initial price will be determined in part based on how many guys want them as soon as all the testing etc is completed. What happens to the price once the initial batch is produced and sold and now someone wants to order just one?

You are asking Mike to speculate.

On a project like this, there is a huge investment of time and money for developement. Then there is the investment for testing, Mike has furnished ten heads for testing. Mike will have to turn a profit or this will be an expensive education.

I would think the price will be somewhat dictated by the batch size. I doubt he will ever have to order a single head. If he did this would cost more. The idea is to order a minimum number per batch. The better the head sells, the larger the batches.

I would hope the market will allow him to recoup his investment in a reasonable amount of time and the batch size will be sufficient to allow him to reap some rewards for his efforts. Not just a better price for us but also more profit for him. He will need profit to grow and bring us more parts. :LOL:

Lets not forget the effort he has put into this project. We all owe him a big Thank You for what he has brought us. I am a firm believer in "The customer comes first". In the case of the new heads, I feel it is Mike who should come first. His is a labor of love, but with a project like this, there is a lot more labor than love. :LOL:

I agree with what you are saying. Mike has done an awesome job of bringing this to market and deserves to make a profit for all his efforts. Maybe a better question would have been will subsequent orders from customers require a waiting period until a large enough number of heads can be produced in order to maintain the price.

Pretty much what Stubby said.

If your margin goes up due to cost reductions, you can look at two positive things - a small benefit to the consumer, and also increased distribution capabilities. If there is enough "fat" I am CERTAIN Mike could wholesale it, and Cliffords would carry it. How would that be for a full circle? ;)

Wouldn't you love to be the guy who whacks the baked-on sand with a sledgehammer? :eek:

Mike I was wondering if you were going to "destructive test" one? just toss one on a JY motor and run it hot to see if there are any cracking issues. I know the iron 2.3L heads freak if you hit around 230 or so on the temp gauge (yes I know it is hot but if you pop a gasket on the highway it can get that hot FAST)

either way I haev my money set aside....just need the website to allow me to buy one :p

Back