autolight 1100 questions

A

Anonymous

i have been having this problem since i put on this carb. it is a newly re-built carb and it wants to die when i go on a curb(like in my driveway) or when i go around a corner. so far i have adjusted the float lvl, replaced the fuel filter and fuel line. everything inside the carb looks good (basically like new). it is not for a automatic car, i have determind that. i am stumped on what els it could be :cry: i could really use your guys's help. i would put the old carb on but i am missing a peice from re-build. its a holly 1940 so if you guys have any extra ones laying around maby you could sell me that peice i need.?? ;) that would be great. but hey thanks for your help :LOL:

HELLO PONYRIDER

....IS THIS HAPPENING AT HIGHER SPEEDS AS WELL? DOES IT HAPPEN TURNING BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT? OR WHEN YOU'RE BACKING OUT OF YOUR DRIVE-WAY?

....TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR CAR. WHAT ELSE DOES IT HAVE.... POWER STEERING, P/BRAKES, AIR/COND.,? ..YOU DIDN'T SAY YOU HAD AN AUTO/TRANNY....BUT THAT THE CARB. WAS NOT FOR AN AUTO....? DO YOU HAVE AN AUTO/T..?

....TO HELP WE WILL WANT SO MORE INFO...

....DO YOU HAVE A HEAVY RETURN SPRING HOOKED TO THE LINKAGE? IS YOUR LINKAGE IN GOOD WORKING ORDER? OILED AND SMOOTH.

....THE 1100 HAD AN EXTRA DASHPOT FOR THE AUTO/TRANNY TO SLOW THE RETURN OF THE THROTTLE PLATE AND WOULD SHOOT A SMALL AMOUNT OF FUEL TO KEEP THE MOTOR RUNNING.

....YOU MIGHT TRY TO RAISE THE IDLE SPEED HIGHER TO SEE IF IT WILL HAVE ANY EFFECT. RAISE IT ABOUT 100 RPM AT FIRST. ..SEE WHAT HAPPENS AND COME BACK.

LOTS OF LUCK....LOL

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

ok. i have a man. transmision, it does it when i pull into and back out of the drive way, speed doesnt seem to matter but it only really does it when the car sways, it has power nothing, and no a/c, the linkage seems to move and work fine. i have tried to reaise the idle speed and it still dint it. maby i should raise it more?? i think its at about 1100 rps right now. it has just been re-built and the engine has too they, the only un-stock thing i have done is a msd blaster coil, and a hooker 6-2 header. thanks for all the help guys. :)

HELLO PONYRIDER66

.... THERE ONLY TWO THINGS I CAN THINK OF... AND THEY ARE.... RUNNING OUT OF GAS & LOOSING GROUND TO THE BATTERY.

.... CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR FLOAT LEVEL IS HIGH ENOUGH. IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH THE GAS IS NOT COVERING THE JET.

.... THE MOTOR WITH A BAD GROUND TO THE CAR BODY WOULD GIVE YOU NO SPARK. LOOK FOR THE GROUND STRAP ON THE FIREWALL BY THE HEATER FAN. IT SHOULD GO TO THE MOTOR SOMEWHERE ON THE BACK OF THE BLOCK. THIS SHOULD BE TIGHT AT BOTH ENDS.

.... WHILE YOUR AT IT CHECK YOUR MOTOR MOUNTS TO SEE IF THEY'RE GOOD. A ROCKING MOTOR WILL KILL THE ENGINE.

.... YOUR IDLE SPEED SHOULD BE CLOSER TO 600 RPM'S. COME BACK AND TELL US WHY IT'S AT 1100 RPM. YOU MIGHT SHARE SOMETHING THAT WOULD SHED SOME LIGHT ON YOUR OTHER PROBLEM.

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

It could also be a bad accelerator pump - so that either too much/not enough gas is coming out when you hit the accelerator. Does this also happen when you hit the throttle at a stop light?

If you are at a dead stop, and you slam on the gas, does the car hesitiate before going forward?

Check to make sure that your accelerator pump is shooting a small amount of gas into the carb when you first hit the throttle. That might be your problem.

Good luck!

also check to make sure the needle valve isn't sticking. with the carb top off, push the float up and down and make sure that the needle follows the float and doesn't stick up in the housing. it sounds like there is not enough fuel in the float bowl but you said you checked the float level so that's all i can think of.

i will adjust the float and make it so more fuel will come in. the accelerator works just fine. thanks alot for all your help i will post a update sometime soon.

this same thing to an extent has happened to me. this sounds stupid but make sure it makes a good seal with the head. try spraying somting like starter fluid on the seal with it running and then see if it "dies" good luck

ok i adjusted the float level and it did nothing :cry: so im still stumped why it does it, the gaskets are all good and i just put on on a manual choke on. but i really need some help because i am stumped on this one.

I might have a solution...and yes it sounds crazy!

go out and drive around a few corners and then check out under the distributor cap. I bet there is a bit of oil in the cap, and possibly some smoke.

This is something that happened to me that I just couldn't figure out. It turned out that going around right turns the car would die. Some how the distro would get oil in it and loose spark. You might want to consider the Duraspark conversion.

Let us know if you ever figure it out.

Jason

its probably not the dizzy it is brand new sence like a month ago. it has to be the carb or somthing because why would it die as soon as i put in the clutch and when i go around the corner???? :eek: :devilish: i put the idle speed back down to 600 sad to say that it made it worse but i know its not the idle. :cry: i cant figure this out and im really geting pissed :eek:

Back