carb. spacer problem

fiona falcon

I am new to this site, and am looking for help with a carb. spacer situation. I have a transplanted 250 6 cyl. from a 1975 Granada in my falcon. The engine has the manifold as part of the cylinder head. The car came to me without a carb or spacer plate. I have purchased both part#s V197-17812A & B. neither fits. Is there a spacer plate for the carb that is unique to this manifold. I have purchased 5 different spacers(for a 1 bbl. carb) and have had zero luck. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Welcome. You've posted in the section for reporting forum issues, so many people may not see your post. You might want to repost in the small-six forum. I'll make one suggestion-run your casting numbers (if you haven't already) to ensure that you have what you think that you have. I bought a Mustang with a 200 and wondered why the carb and spacer didn't fit. It was actually a 250 head.

Head casting numbers will be right behind where carb mounts. The numbers and letters should start with C for 1960's , D for 1970's followed by the year of casting origin .

For instance '75 Granada should have a casting like D5DE or D3DE

IF casitng starts with a C , you know it's an older head on the engine.
D0DE = 1970 from '71 MAverick

C6DE = 1966 from mid 60's Mustang

someone on this forum suggested making a carb spacer from phenolic block. I have tried for 3 days to find a source for this material and.everyone I ask looks at me like I am speaking chinese. I need a piece or 2 that's 3/4" thick and 6" X 6". Does anyone know of a source? Thanks in advance.

McMaster-Carr has sheets available. McMaster.com search phenolic

Grainger probably has it too

If your engine has the 1.75” carb inlet like it probably does, the spacer should look something like this.

IMG_1053.jpeg

yes indeed it looks like that if it fits my manifold. Now where do I find it. I have scoured the internet and all likely vendors to no avail, now my only hope seems to divine intervention. Any thoughts. thanks in advance. Merry Christmas.

There's usually a couple on ebay, but I don't see one there now. Either be patient and wait for one to show up, or ask around here for one. Somebody has a spare one in a junk box.

There's usually a couple on ebay, but I don't see one there now. Either be patient and wait for one to show up, or ask around here for one. Somebody has a spare one in a junk box.
would you possibly have a part number for this? I don"t want to add this to my collection of ALMOST FITS. Thanks and Merry Christmas

would you possibly have a part number for this? I don"t want to add this to my collection of ALMOST FITS. Thanks and Merry Christmas
fiona falcon- welcome. If the hole spacing is close, you can spread the holes/slots to fit. Don't know about the small 6, but on big 6 it's done.

excellent thought. that completely escaped my thinking. Good to have someone with a unique perspective. God knows I have enough spacer to give it a try. Thanks Frank

"usually a couple on ebay, but I don't see one there now."
... also saw none on EBay currently. Most later model Flange adapters I've seen on 70's heads include the Exhaust Recirc' Valve (EGR) on end of a snout on the casting. Typically, I've sawed it off and filled port to flange throat with epoxy.

'don't have a picture I can share of 'before' but if you look you can see on this adapter the oval port filled with Epoxy after having been sawed off (D2xx 1972 casting 250) :

The numbers aren't very clear, I could be wrong. But it looks like D0DE A or DODE A maybe. And yes, as stated above, if you can get the EGR version just cut off the extra flange and plug the hole. I haven't done it, but when I saw one that was my first thought.

someone on this forum suggested making a carb spacer from phenolic block. I have tried for 3 days to find a source for this material and.everyone I ask looks at me like I am speaking chinese. I need a piece or 2 that's 3/4" thick and 6" X 6". Does anyone know of a source? Thanks in advance.

Look in McMaster-Carr.

Back