All Small Six Is There A Reason PCV Hoses Are So Long?

This relates to all small sixes

TrickSix

I haven’t seen a PCV hose sold for my ‘66 200 in the original molded shape for many years. You can get by with a piece of straight hose. But it sure takes the long way around from the back of the valve cover to the front of the carb spacer. You have to be careful with routing so the straight hose doesn’t kink on the corners. So I was thinking of turning the carb spacer around and sneaking the PCV hose in the back side like this. It’s much tidier looking, and can’t kink. Seems like it should be near enough the same vacuum presented to the valve. Anyone see a problem with this short direct hose?

IMG_1636.jpeg

What you show is exactly what I did. Mine's a 250 but has the same stuff as the 200 as far as the PCV. I did it mostly to keep the hose away from the throttle linkage. It seems to work just fine.

I’d say “More oil into the carb throat.” but the PCV is there to stop just that.
Today’s modern (or more correctly those just following our ThriftPowers) might
have seen ‘over the VC’ as unusual. Those daze there were so much fewer hoses
and wires in the bay. Direct access to VC removal might have been more ideal AND
as said those properly molded hoses were readily available. I see no other issues but a
pinch btwn carb’n VC (is there space? Is that ‘port’ usually utilized by nother component?

I've already done a dry fitting of all parts including the 1101 carb. Plenty of clearance for all components and linkages. The valve cover has a baffle under the PCV. I've never seen much oil moving through the old longer hose, basically just a condensed vapor film. Maybe the shorter hose will keep the vapor temp up and the condensation down.

Just an option, but the straight 6 Chevy engines use a similar hose with the molded 90 degree end. They're longer but you just cut off the extra unneeded part. OEM quality .
I can't find the application/part # info but I know I got it through rock auto if you're willing to search a bit...
DannyG

They hada 250, 292, smaller ones. What yrs to look at?

I have it installed on my engine so the packaging is gone. Pretty sure it was OEM GM... It has the nice molded 90" end, and then trim to fit.
Found it :

1962-1976 PCV Valve Hose Kit with Molded 90 Degree Elbow​

Ohhh Kayeee, that helps.

Wonder if there’s any way to ‘mold’ our own hoses. The modern out put...
radiator, heater, mmm... is there others (oh, fuel dont really need it, but
‘filler necks' R nother). Heat? Heat & ‘mnapulation', ie stretch)? There's
all ways an add-on cost for them, less availability, wait for the prts runner
to show up...

I learned the hard way when I swapped the Modulator hose with regular vacuum hose( '67 Mustang, C-4 auto). The hose kinked and I couldn't get third gear.
It's always the last thing you touched so I swapped the original ( molded 90 degree bend) back in and it worked again.
No more making my own hoses :eek:)
DannyG

glad U said that. I have some thin walled. I look at post 1 and think
"Wow, pretty thick hose. I got some correct ID diamiter, bet that system
is pretty low pressure. I can use it."

Back