Classic Inlines Universal 1V carb

yodabiri

Hello fellow inliners,
I am looking for some reviews on the Classic Inlines Universal carb based in the 1904 Holley. I know some of you have it and have posted initial thoughts, but how is this carb holding up? I currently have a very worn 1100 and it is no longer rebuildable. I want to swap it out, but want something that will not leave me stranded like the 1100, or the carter yf have in the past. (never had good luck with the YF actually as it never ran right on my car.) Also how tall is this caruretor? (taller/shorter than the 1100)? The reason I ask, is that I have a 65 mustang with a 250 swapped into it and thus very low hood clearance. The 1100 fits, but just barely.

If you have experience with the universal carburetor, please chime in. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't have any experience with the universal 1v, but I know the Carter RBS is what came on early 250's, it's a shorter carb used on the 70-73 250's, 215 cfm. I've read good things about the universal carb, and it very well may be great but it's still a carb and has to be clean, set up and properly tuned like any carburetor.

The funny thing is I have tried a couple of YF carbs along with my original 1100, and the 1100 is the only one I have gotten to run and idle "properly". The YF carbs always idled way too high or it would stumble and when I was at wits end with that I took it to a mechanic and he couldnt get the YF to work either. But then I tossed on the 1100 and it was all peachy. One would expect that the 1100 would not even work because of the lack of SCV signal from the DUI, but it works fine. Or rather it worked fine, but bushings and threads are worn out on it, the float gets stuck more times than not. The problem with the carter RBS is that they are difficult to find and thus nearly just as expensive as the brand new universal carb.
Anyways, I have emailed classic inlines a couple of times asking questions and have not heard anything back from them. This concerns me because I know they were really good a few years back when I bought my DUI from them, but no idea how they are now. I really dont want to risk a large chunk of money on this.

give him a little time, mike has a lot on his plate right now. as for the universal carb, it seems to me that it should be better all around than the 1100 with the changes that have been made, but i havent yet tried one, but i am planning to depending on what happens with a few carbs that i have in the works right now.

I will wait a bit of time, but I would love others to chime in (if anybody has their impressions) on the universal carb and their impressions of it. I know most people probably go the weber or holley route with the modified log, but I just want a somewhat reliable cruiser I can take on a drive and mot worry too much about the carb leaving me stranded (has happened its fair share of times).

Thanks

Just put one on my 200, Worked very well out of the box, accelator cable will hook up easily but will need to figure out the trans kickdown. I've got the dyno reports up on my build thread look under thread name : new build questions?

Back