Cooling system woes....

strat1960s

VIP
Ok here goes...
Last week I replaced my heater hoses with some steel braided hoses and AN type fittings. While I was in there I replaced my heater core. I added coolant and ran the motor for 45 minutes with the cap off. I couldn't get warm air to come out of any of the vents. I check my hoses and they were cool to the touch. I figured I had an air pocket. I loossened the upper heater hose and had fluid run out so I figured the air pocket had been in the heater core or lower hose. I put the radiator cap on and went inside to let it cool down. When I came back out an hour later I had coolant all over the floor. Some how coolant was running past to cap and onto my floor. Would that be a sign of a bad cap??
I also replaced my alternator and now my water pump is squeaking and sqawking away. Good thing I have a new one in a box.
I plan on draining the oil, replacing the filters and plugs this weekend.
So any suggesyions as to where to begin troubleshooting my cooling system??
By the way, I'd like to have this thing figured out by next friday because, I found a shop that's going to tune and time my motor and then put it on their dyno. Finally I'll know how much HP I have so far. I don't want to blow my cooling system on his shop floor, ya know what I mean.....

Ted

Simple ?'s =

Are you sure the thermostat is in correctly with the sense bulb on the head side?..

IF radiator was chock full while cold to somewhat warm, it would definitely spit some AF out through the overflow tube due to the expansion.

Powerband

I don't think it's the thermostat. I didn't do anything with it. It worked fine before. I c\oolant wasn't comming from the overflow outlet on the filler neck. It was actually pushing up past the cap. It was also comming out the little button on the center of the cap.

Ted

and change that water pump too if its squeaking....and check both tightnesss...could be too tight

HI
When cold the coolant should be about 1" or so below the cap to alow for expanstion.. If you had it full to the top and it was warmed up it well naturaly push out the extra water when you shut it off from the prusher. the cap may steal be bad so there cheap replace it...
As for the Water pump are you sure its bad.. Sence you got Anti-freeze pushed out of the radiator.. It may have gotten on the fan belt and that well make them squeel as it well glaze the belt. Hose it off with clean water and maybe ruff up the belt.. and see if it quits squelling then...

To ruff up the belt ....BE CARFULL WITH THIS IDEA.... With the motor running use a file and run it against the belt V part (where it runs in the pully) on both sides watch out for the fan and the pullys PLEASE

tim

I had a heater that was not working. You can have coolant on either side of the heater core and it still be plugged up, since there are no check valves in the system. I ended up pulling the heater core. I found some crud in it some of which was the old wire springs that used to help prevent the radiator hoses from collapsing.
Doug

Back