Custom cut aluminum pistons

Will likely have to cast it myself, and spend a lot of time figuring the counterweights and the piston weight and such
If you are making your own crank I think billet would be a better option or just start with a factory cast crank and weld or machine to meet your needs

If you are making your own crank I think billet would be a better option or just start with a factory cast crank and weld or machine to meet your needs
Ive thought about cutting one too, but dont have a lathe that is that big, but i may be able to talk to a machine shop or purchase one, same for doing a cam shaft, the issue is also a bigger bore space to accomidate things better

Ive thought about cutting one too, but dont have a lathe that is that big, but i may be able to talk to a machine shop or purchase one, same for doing a cam shaft, the issue is also a bigger bore space to accomidate things better
A personal full machine shop would be ideal for you to complete this project granted you have the space for everything. I would think you could find a big lathe for about $5000.
The camshaft is a lot more complicated than a crank to make and ironically it is probably also a lot cheaper to have outsourced

A personal full machine shop would be ideal for you to complete this project granted you have the space for everything. I would think you could find a big lathe for about $5000.
The camshaft is a lot more complicated than a crank to make and ironically it is probably also a lot cheaper to have outsourced
Could fund it by machining parts for the guys here because theres a lot that do racing

Yea i think the outsourced cam would be cheaper, ive heard around 1400 for new billets

Might be easier to lighten and turn smaller journals on a 5.9 Cummins crank, if bumping bore centers.
But casting new blocks at 4.480 with siamese liners, then machining a cooling slot between them, allows a plenty big bore, and ability to run existing cranks.

Might be easier to lighten and turn smaller journals on a 5.9 Cummins crank, if bumping bore centers.
But casting new blocks at 4.480 with siamese liners, then machining a cooling slot between them, allows a plenty big bore, and ability to run existing cranks.
Never thought about the 5.9 crank, if the deck was tall enough could even make a 6.7 out of a gas motor lol

A slug to make a billet crank weighs over 600 pounds.... I've made roller cam blanks before for some Chevy 6 cylinder guys. It's time consuming but not hard....

A slug to make a billet crank weighs over 600 pounds.... I've made roller cam blanks before for some Chevy 6 cylinder guys. It's time consuming but not hard....
Well, is there a jig i could purchase, and for tempering and treating the cam billet how would i go about that

You couldn't heat treat it yourself, most any cam company can take the blank once its semi finished and copper plate it and heat treat it, then finish grind the lobes for you. What would you need a jig for...?

You couldn't heat treat it yourself, most any cam company can take the blank once its semi finished and copper plate it and heat treat it, then finish grind the lobes for you. What would you need a jig for...?
I dont have a cnc lathe, would need to offset the billet to grind out the lobes

You would have to get a cam company to do that. They have master lobes that fit to the cam grinder to create the lobes on the cam. Some parts of this project can be done by yourself, but there are parts of it that are going to be beyond your abilities to do, and will have to be handed off to experts in those fields. But, you can rough the cam blank into a round lobe state and hand it off to them to copper plate, pre grind, heat treat and finish grind.

You would have to get a cam company to do that. They have master lobes that fit to the cam grinder to create the lobes on the cam. Some parts of this project can be done by yourself, but there are parts of it that are going to be beyond your abilities to do, and will have to be handed off to experts in those fields. But, you can rough the cam blank into a round lobe state and hand it off to them to copper plate, pre grind, heat treat and finish grind.
Alright, give them the size i need and they can cut the lobes to shape

Yes, you'll need to discuss with them your goals and needs with the engine and they can custom tailor a cam grind to suit your needs exactly. If you provide them with a rough ground blank, they can take it the rest of the way for you. They typically like the bearing journals to be .030" or so oversize to allow for straighten them up after heat treat so they can finish grind them to their final sizes.

Yes, you'll need to discuss with them your goals and needs with the engine and they can custom tailor a cam grind to suit your needs exactly. If you provide them with a rough ground blank, they can take it the rest of the way for you. They typically like the bearing journals to be .030" or so oversize to allow for straighten them up after heat treat so they can finish grind them to their final sizes.
Thats what i imagined would need to be done, alright

In regards to the sohc cam, i would for my personal vehicle want to do a cam phaser so i can bounce between a 4 degree advance for the low end and go to a 0 degree advance for the top end of roughly 4k maybe 4500

Back