Custom cut aluminum pistons

I would have to really take things slowly, would be really tight but also the improved rod ratio would help with the sidewall loading
You were the one to suggest the 7.00" long rod.
I still prefer the 6.8" rod with a piston CH of 1.2" and a piston length of 2.4" especially for a 4.25" diameter piston.

Last edited:
You were the one to suggest the 7.00" long rod.
I still prefer the 6.8" rod with a piston CH of 1.2" and a piston length of 2.4" especially for a 4.25" diameter piston.
I felt the 4.25 bore would also improve the valve sizing aswell along with a better valve/port angle

Off far offset do you think the valves should be? I was thinking of having one at 3 o clock for the intake (driver) and 7 for the exhaust assuming you faced the motor from the passenger side
The valves must be across from each other for maximum valve diameter and valve to valve clearance.
Example: If one valve is 2 o'clock (looking at the chamber) the other should be at 8 o'clock.

If you chose to use the Ford 6.2 rocker arms you are pretty much tied to the 6.2 valve placement.
The rocker arms are designed for the 8 degree valve angle.
The distance from the center of the camshaft to the valve tip is determined by the rocker arm length which also determines the spacing between the intake and exhaust valves.
The width of the rocker arms determines the minimum valve offset from the 12 o'clock position.
Looking at the chamber with the intake valve sitting up, the intake is at 1 o'clock and the exhaust valve is at 7 o'clock on the passenger side head and 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock on the driver side head.

The head uses two spark plugs per cylinder.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
The valves must be across from each other for maximum valve diameter and valve to valve clearance.
Example: If one valve is 2 o'clock (looking at the chamber) the other should be at 8 o'clock.

If you chose to use the Ford 6.2 rocker arms you are pretty much tied to the 6.2 valve placement.
The rocker arms are designed for the 8 degree valve angle.
The distance from the center of the camshaft to the valve tip is determined by the rocker arm length which also determines the spacing between the intake and exhaust valves.
The width of the rocker arms determines the minimum valve offset from the 12 o'clock position.
Looking at the chamber with the intake valve sitting up, the intake is at 1 o'clock and the exhaust valve is at 7 o'clock on the passenger side head and 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock on the driver side head.

The head uses two spark plugs per cylinder.

s-l500.jpg
Ok gotcha, would there be a benefit to running 12 total plugs?

Ok gotcha, would there be a benefit to running 12 total plugs?
Less ignition timing since there would be two flame fronts.
More complete combustion.
It lets you use a distributorless ignition system that doesn't need a cam sync signal unless you need the cam sync for sequential fuel injection.

Less ignition timing since there would be two flame fronts.
More complete combustion.
It lets you use a distributorless ignition system that doesn't need a cam sync signal unless you need the cam sync for sequential fuel injection.
On a note about sefi, you dont need a cam sensor to run it, just need a 30 plus wheel to time it, this comes from my time racing a 2.3, 2.5 and 2.7 stroker turbo mazda MZRs wirh the ranger platform,

Noted on the ignition parts

On a note about sefi, you dont need a cam sensor to run it, just need a 30 plus wheel to time it, this comes from my time racing a 2.3, 2.5 and 2.7 stroker turbo mazda MZRs wirh the ranger platform,
If the fuel injection is sequential, how did you identify cylinder #1 with just a crank wheel?

If the fuel injection is sequential, how did you identify cylinder #1 with just a crank wheel?
Im using the missing tooth to identify cyl 1 tdc and run at 2 passes

At the time of the video i was working on a new damper and the vvt solenoid control

Im using the missing tooth to identify cyl 1 tdc and run at 2 passes
The missing tooth on the crankshaft wheel identifies cylinders 1 and 4 on a four-cylinder engine and cylinders 1 and 6 on the ford 300 six.
How do you determine which one of the two possible cylinders is being identified by the missing tooth without a cam sync signal?

You can do batch firing injection without a cam sync signal but not sequential.

The missing tooth on the crankshaft wheel identifies cylinders 1 and 4 on a four-cylinder engine and cylinders 1 and 6 on the ford 300 six.
How do you determine which one of the two possible cylinders is being identified by the missing tooth without a cam sync signal?

For the 6 and ease of tuning would run a second gap to allow for timing both banks (1 5 3 and 2 4 6)

For determining the crank pos on the 4 cyl i have it running off a timer that exponentially decreases as rpm goes up

Sounds good, ill have that for you tomorrow,

On a side note, thoughts on running a dedicated oil cooler line at the filter housing location?
A better idea is to run a dedicated oil cooler/ pump setup tapped right into the oil pan as I have seen in a recent thread.

Like a dry sump?
No sir. He used an electric fuel pump, or something of that effect, with dedicated lines to/from the cooler. Independent of the engine pressure system. . .I can see the truck, and the pic of the rig in my head but can't remember who it is right now.

Back