Custom EFI intake manifolds...sweet

A

Anonymous

Check out this site if yopu havent come across it already :roll: ....its not bad considering they fit your existing carbed manifold with injectors and include from the fuel pump and ECU forward. just a cool site for anyone curious about EFI on their carbed engine.

Also idont know if a 6 cylinder will be cheaper than an eight cylinder cause of the two less injectors....?? maybe?

8)

A friend of mine has an intake from them. He has a full race 351C-4v that has a hi rise single plane intake and their throttle body and injectors mounted to a 4bbl intake.

I wasnt aware they did anything other than V8's and I thought they were racing only.

i emailed them and they said they would do it on six cylinders, they said it would prolly run the about the same price as a V8 and some 6's require more work to put the injector bosses in and a custom wiring harness...but i was thinkin of doin it with a plain old clifford alluminum four barrel manifold. i dont think that would be too hard :LOL: ... but i think id try it myself, im sure my dad and i can get somethin workin.

The electronics are the most spendy part, but they do cover from 1 cylinder to 12 cylinder engines, even rotaries. both haltech and accel and prolly some others out there too. but i think i can make up a wiring hranes too....take some time....just need an ECU and sensors.

You can actually tune the electronics to however you like, you can put some smaller injectors in for smaller engines etc.
I really want to adda turbo to this fuel injection...that would make a 300 ford make people look like they are almost standing still. :eek:

FWIW Clifford had a version of their intake with injector bosses machined in, injectors a fuel rail and a T/B in place of the carb on the cover of their catalogue a few years ago. They said it was "soon to be released" or some such. Of course Jack was still alive then and Jay and Phil were still with the company. We're not likely to see it put into production now though.

strange ranger, any pics of that system from clifford.

emerald,
i spoke with a turbo shop in denver, and they wanted to drill the holes, tig weld in the cups for the injectors on my 200 log head. so any turbo shop can do it. they wanted to install the whole system. the SDS EFI system was about $1300.00

if i found bag of money i would probabaly go that route. very tunable. i have also heard that with the proper sizing of the carb/cam/exhaust/turbo etc, a carb can be just as effective . for now i will go with the holley 390 mech. progressive 4bbl(552 cfm on sixes) running a T4 or a S5 mazda turbo, with an intercooler. i am thinking 15psi boost but we will have to see about that. i have had estimates of 260hp out of my 200 with 9psi.

i hope to be up and running for the rocky mountain mustang roundup in Steamboat springs, Co in june. i will keep you posted as for my progress!!
Pete

yellowstang,
unfortunately this is a pic of a GM clifford unit, but it should give you an idea of what they had planned
gm6_efi_clifford.jpg

ron

What are the pros and cons of a distribution block as opposed to a common rail?

-=Whittey=-

that intake is actually a clifford manifold leo modified for a 2 sbc heads siamesed together for a 292 which makes the head a crossflow. this engine is sweet!! it it turboed and intercooled and runs low 10's in the quarter

Whittey,

The common rail system is used in almost any Sequential fuel injection systems that i can think of. In the case of the chevy MPI, There is only one injector (pump kinda :roll: ) that feeds 6 or 8 nozzles. The SEFI works better because each injector can be controlled individually. The MPI only has one large injector, so only the one injector can be contolled to deliver fuel to all of the cylinders.

As far as the ifference between the fuel delivery to the injector, either SEFI or MPI, a common rail style or a distribution block style may be close to the same. They are both a style of fuel manifold, just shaped differently. I suppose the Comon rail may have a better flow of fuel because it has a smooth fuel delivery from the main fuel line all the way to the injector without having to disribute the fuel from a common source.

I hope this answers your question somewhat.

Why are we re-inventing the wheel. For the Ford 300 there is an efi manifold in the j'yard with fuel rail, pump reg and much more.

If you don't want to mess with the Ford ECU, no problem, there are others electronics that could be used with the Ford hard parts.

For the SBF-6 using the intergral cast-on manifold the only EFI that could be adapted or used is a TBI fogger type. The airflow to each port is unequal enough that each port injector would have to be tune to that port. Only three ways to vary or tune, injector size, fuel line pressure or pulse width. The only one that could be individually controlled would be injector size, the difference in size is to great to be use for tuning.

The injection system in the picture is mechanical.

yeah..you have a point..but how easily could you force induce the Ford manifold?....i havent looked into it, so i cant assume. Also, its fun to build stuff!!, if a clifford manifold with EFI, Either dual manifolds and dual turbos, a single turbo, a fabed up turbo header, That sounds like fun...as long as you got your stuff figured out.
Also...the point about the unequal airflow to each port...do you think it would make a difference if it was forced induced?

Just some thoguhts....but i was thinkin of a Ford EFI manifold.....to start with.... :)

The injection is a Ron's mechincal unit. It is designed for wide open ONLY! It will idol so rich that it will make you'e eyes water and foul plugs :shock: We still havent got a good handle on our system yet :(

Steven

www.mighty6.com

I am making a custom stainless upper for my 300-6TT. I am also making a setup jig, so if anybody wants one, I can make them assembly-line style. Is this something people would want?

Jared

8)

It seems that you could import a entire Aussie inline six EFI "kit" with injectors, fuel rail, ECU, and such. We even have a person here with experience installing one in an old Stang. And it is designed to run the engines we use, sorta.

I think a log head could be modified to run a port injected EFI.

I put injector bungs on my Clifford manifold- the Pontiac unit doesn't come with the pad that some of the chevy units do. With the injector layback angle they had planned, you would have to use an offset throttle body or the Accel style (now made by many) single unit that looks like a 5.0 setup.

If Jack would be so kind as to post the link to my engine pics, you can see them.

So what angle did you put your injector bungs at? Im sure they arent vertical..so what angle would be nominal...if they were too angled..then you could get fuel dribbling on the roof of the manifold...45 degrees?

The injectors are "aimed" to spray the back side of the intake valve. Some are offset (300) to one side in an attempt to generate a swirl effect at the valve and conpensate for shrouding.

If memory serves me(it still does, occasionally), the Clifford unit previously mentioned for our 300" sixes was an "Air Sensors" system set up on a Cliffy manifold. Before Clifford could really get the thing off the ground, (and to Jack's dismay)the Air Sensors company was sold off to someone who wanted to only work on electronics that related to propane for RVs, so the whole project was shelved. After Jack sold off whatever pieces were hangin' around, all that was left was his miscellaneous conversions(Jeep, etc.) that used the G.M. stuff, most of that using TBI. Disappointing, to say the least.

J.R.

My injectors are near vertical (80 degress); they are only 3.25" away from the valve. I was totally stuck on getting them right at the valve, but many discussions with some folks at DFI, FAST, and Kinsler showed me that it wasn't that critical. My application is supercharged, so keeping the fuel from the port floor shouldn't be a problem.

Some high-high power setups actually turn them back at the incoming stream!

Back