All Small Six Distributor advance problems

This relates to all small sixes

Trey Stanaland

Back on this 1970 mustang coupe with the 250 i6. Last I was here was asking a out the carb I got a autoline and she cranked like she should. My now problem is when I go to check the timing and unplug the advance the engine cuts off but if I plug it back in it'll catch back up. And it's skipping checked all the plugs and they are firing. I have replaced the coil distributor cap points condenser plugs and wires. Along with my problems i was thinking about upgrading from the points and condenser with a petronix 1567 ignitor and a hotter coil whats yalls opinions? I appreciate all the help I've gotten before now and all the future help!

Hay Tray!! Newbie myselfšŸ„¹
Just an idea: what you are saying is it o ly runs with the vacuum advance hose hooked up and when you remove that advance ā€œ helpā€ it stumbles. I would watch the timing marks as you unhook the vacuum. Sounds like the base timing is off
I am sure the are more qualified people but this is a startšŸ¤“šŸ¤“
Hope it helps!!

I read something about that ill have to check it out tomorrow im on my own project a 1959 ford f350. Figured I'd hop back on the mustang tomorrow

Reactions: DON
Does your carburtor have a SCV? Take a picture of the carb.
With the vacuum advance disconnected what is your initial advance?
Depending on what you find your engine would love a DS11 distributor with either a Ford ignition box or if you have the money
get a MSD 6425 with a blaster 2 coil.
If you are interested contact me @ billythedistributorman@live.com
See my DS11 distributors on the small six for sale section of the forum. wsa111 Bill

I will take pictures of it tomorrow but it has the dual ports on it if that helps any at all. How much is your ds11 and a ignition box?

Is your distributor vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum on the carb or manifold vacuum. If it's connected to the manifold vacuum, the timing is retarding when you disconnect it, which may cause the engine to stall if the timing retards a lot. Also, I assume that you know to plug the vacuum hose right after it's disconnected.

As far as the upgrade, I installed a DuraSpark II on mine and I'm very happy with it. You can get a distributor, coil and box from your local chain auto parts store, and source the connecting harness on-line or in a local salvage yard. If you get the distributor for a 75 Maverick 250, you can even use the small distributor cap instead of the giant one used on the later models.

Is your distributor vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum on the carb or manifold vacuum. If it's connected to the manifold vacuum, the timing is retarding when you disconnect it, which may cause the engine to stall if the timing retards a lot. Also, I assume that you know to plug the vacuum hose right after it's disconnected.

As far as the upgrade, I installed a DuraSpark II on mine and I'm very happy with it. You can get a distributor, coil and box from your local chain auto parts store, and source the connecting harness on-line or in a local salvage yard. If you get the distributor for a 75 Maverick 250, you can even use the small distributor cap instead of the giant one used on the later models.
Yes you can get a DS11 at a parts store, but it will have to be recurved for your engine combo.

I'm back had a busy weekend anyways it is connected to the carb not manifold, I have been plugging the line when I pull it off too. I will have photos posted in a momemt!

Here are the pictures took one of the line going to carb too maybe this will help!

Attachments

• 20240130_093622.jpg
    20240130_093622.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240130_093544.jpg
    20240130_093544.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240130_093539.jpg
    20240130_093539.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240130_093458.jpg
    20240130_093458.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Looks like ported vacuum which is ok with that carb. Set initial with the hose off.
Also pull the blocking hose off the vacuum advance close to the dist. housing.
Then install the ported vacuum to the place you had it.
If you can afford it a DS11 with the MSD 6425 & blaster 2 coil would be a plus.

I tried to time it again and for some reason my timing light doesn't want to work when I have it connected it will flash some and cut off but I hooked it to my truck and it worked just fine any ideas?

Hook your timing light to another plug wire. Your #1 cylinder plug wire may be open??

ā€œ...upgrading from the points and condenser with a ... opinion?"
I like the ford DSII w/either the blue strain relief on the matched ā€˜boxā€™ ('77+) or hybred w/a 'gm 4 pin'
(see gofastforless on-line to = the schematics). Easy: to hide, source, $, durability, holda spare, etc.
With no feedback carb on that ā€™70 4.1 U can go up in carb choices too. 2100 or 32/36 on adapter
would be the ticket, no?

Back