All Small Six Duraspark Advice!

This relates to all small sixes

gserafini

Subscriber
I'm growing interested in swapping out my load-o-matic point system and going with electronic. Can anyone give me advice on a complete list of parts I would need for this swap? And where to find one of these distributors? I keep only finding them for V8s or some cheap looking "HEI" dizzys. And can I use my current SCV 1100 carb but just plug the vac advance port?

You will have to replace the SCV 1100 carb with a 66 or later 1100 with vacuum port.

If you want an electronic distributor, contact wsa111. He can set you up with a distributor recurved to your engine.

Just contact wsa111 he can take car of all that. He has the parts and knows how it all goes down.

I'm growing interested in swapping out my load-o-matic point system and going with electronic. Can anyone give me advice on a complete list of parts I would need for this swap? And where to find one of these distributors? I keep only finding them for V8s or some cheap looking "HEI" dizzys. And can I use my current SCV 1100 carb but just plug the vac advance port?
I'm currently using a 1970 dual-advance points-type distributor using manifold vacuum and a SCV 1100 with the vacuum port capped on my '66 200. It runs great! I don't put enough miles on it to worry about changing points very often.

I'm currently using a 1970 dual-advance points-type distributor using manifold vacuum and a SCV 1100 with the vacuum port capped on my '66 200.
That's the simplest option, and optionally swap the points for a module such as the PerTronix-II 91261 and appropriate coil. The distributor will likely need re-curving for best performance and economy with your engine and fuel, in the carburetor's current state of tune.

When I did mine (it's a non-SCV carb though), I bought a remanufactured Cardone distributor for a 75 Maverick and two Duraspark II boxes (blue strain relief - one to keep in the trunk as a spare) from OReilly's. I was able to find used harnesses (one between the box and the distributor and one between the box and vehicle power) locally and already had the coil and connector. This was a few years ago and I seem to recall it was around $150 all in. The distributors have gone up in price quite a bit (doubled, actually), and the box prices have also risen. Not taking anything away from @wsa111 , but I curved my own distributor using the advice in the tech section ("Re-curve the Duraspark II for Improved Mileage by Mark P") and it works very well.

Last edited:
I was just trying to swap my original distributer with the Cardone but will not completely seat. It appears the internal hex shaft to drive oil pump is slightly too narrow. I will have to measure with calipers tomorrow. Frustrating.

I was just trying to swap my original distributer with the Cardone but will not completely seat. It appears the internal hex shaft to drive oil pump is slightly too narrow. I will have to measure with calipers tomorrow. Frustrating.
Oh bummer, let us know how the measuring goes

Good news got it to seat. The oil pump drive rod was off just a tad. I have it running and it is very smooth at idle. Set to very near 12 deg advance. Must of got the wire harness correct, even my tach is working. I tried vacuum line to adapter plate port but it seemed to be losing power at about 2,000. Rpm. I then tried vacuum line to port higher on carb and seemed a little better. My carb is this aftermarket carburetor, so I don’t know that I can trust what it is doing. Has the spark control valve. Ideas? Spark plug wires are 7 mm and original champion plugs…wider gap?

Attachments

• 92983160-A48F-450F-AC79-F8DC87F040EA.jpeg
    92983160-A48F-450F-AC79-F8DC87F040EA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
So I just checked again as it is dark and easy to see timing light and advance. Idle timing is dead on. When I wrap it up to say 2000 rpm it advance 4-5 degrees to about 17-18 b t d c. Not advancing.

Good news got it to seat. The oil pump drive rod was off just a tad. I have it running and it is very smooth at idle. Set to very near 12 deg advance. Must of got the wire harness correct, even my tach is working. I tried vacuum line to adapter plate port but it seemed to be losing power at about 2,000. Rpm. I then tried vacuum line to port higher on carb and seemed a little better. My carb is this aftermarket carburetor, so I don’t know that I can trust what it is doing. Has the spark control valve. Ideas? Spark plug wires are 7 mm and original champion plugs…wider gap?
If you're running a carb with the spark control valve and a distributor that isn't a load-o-matic, I believe you need to plug the vacuum line from the carb (where the steel line comes out) and run manifold vacuum to the distributor advance. It will work but not as well as either adapting the carb to remove the SCV (there's a pinned post at the top of the page) or just replace the carb with a '68 or later unit.

I tried vacuum line to adapter plate port but it seemed to be losing power at about 2,000. Rpm. I then tried vacuum line to port higher on carb and seemed a little better.
What adaptor plate port did you use? Looks like your PCV hose is running to the intake manifold vacuum port and its normal port on the front side of the plate is plugged. The threaded hole in the plate with a white cap on it is normally just a throttle linkage attachment point, not a vacuum port at all. It can be modified to use as one, (I've done it) but is just a dead end when stock. You may not have had any vacuum at all to the distributor on your first try.

Tricksix. OMG! Talk about seeing the forest but not the tree! See pic. So what I will do is remove front access in throttle plate, measure vacuum with a gage I have under low and high rpm. Will report back. If I have to do that mod to the ports it looks doable. I just hope I don’t have to “recurve” although I saw a video and can be done oneself.

Thank you on pointing that out!!!!

Sorry to hijack this link. So what you’re indicating tricksix is where I have the pvc hose is wrong…should go where screwdriver is pointed. What about moving that pvc hose up and drawing vacuum off the manifold directly for the Duraspark car done distributer.? Guess I can try each and see what my gage shows. May have to the carb modification I realize, with either.

Yes, remove the big black plug the screwdriver is pointing at, and install a fitting for the PCV hose to return it to stock. The old intake manifold fitting might work. I see you have a hard metal distributor vacuum line. If you want to avoid bending it around trying different things, you might want to rig up a temporary rubber line. The thread in the log is 1/4 npt.

Back