ECU Recommendations

That's the Bosch Electronic Distributor, they are pretty good ones. I think those Cross Flow Short Blocks still used the smaller Distributor Pilot Hole like the 1960 to 1964 USA Ford Six's 144, 170's did.

Would it be wiser to modify the factory dizzy for the coil near plug, or use the modified hyperspark?

That's the Bosch Electronic Distributor, they are pretty good ones. I think those Cross Flow Short Blocks still used the smaller Distributor Pilot Hole like the 1960 to 1964 USA Ford Six's 144, 170's did.
From what I read that is true. Its like .48-ish and we need .515" i believe from 66mustang's post.

Nice to hear from you. Enjoying that 2V from Cesar?

Is the factory dizzy Hall Effect or Magnetic pickup?
I cannot find that information yet. i found an old thread, heres a post from xcatsy:

Type 1. Points. From June 1976 to Otober 1980, Bosch series 61 distributor, same as the Aussie 1971-1975 200 and 250 Log head and 250 2v).

Type 2. Electronic. From Otober 1980 to the advent of the 1985 XF Falcon, it was Electronic Aussie Bosch Duraspark. Vacuum advance ( 2 wires, green is -, red is + ), it has a 4 pin Electronic module under the plastic case on the distributor. All Tpe 1 and Type 2's were for leaded 97 octane gasoline cars.

Its a common GM Holden 2.85/3.3 L6 or 4.2/5.0 V8, Chrysler 2.6 liter Silent Shaft, Aussie Nissan/Toyota item. Check for codes like BIM024, 9222067021, 922067016, 9222067017, 9222067019

Type 3. For November 1984, the 1985 model year XF Falcon had Electronic Spark Timing and a TFI distributor with either an EST or EECIV control box. The TFI has plug with 3 pins, which requires a computer or EST to use. It uses a MAP sensor and the common EECIV test plug. You can run the codes off it like on any 1980 to 1995 US EECIV if the parts are with it.

Alternatively, you can buy a MSD 6AL-2 programmable 6530 ignition system if its the XF TFI type.

Being this is a 84, it could likely have Type 2 or 3. But since I see a vacuum advance canister on it, I would assume type 2. If it is truely a DSII type, it'd be a hall effect, right?

Diego haha. I haven't heard that one in a bit.

Ok, I'll start looking intot he 4bbl manifolds and look at running the terminator throttle body with it.

I was debating using a DSII unit with the reluctor wheel wiped like pmuller suggested. If the Hyperspark worked with this I'd try that since my monye

By modify, do you mean beat in with a hammer? haha
No, I cut one joint and tightened it up a bit to get above the steering centre link, easy.

Whats the thought on these headers compared to those pacemakers
Not worth the extra cost over pacemakers, but it will depend on what is easiest to get for you.

The motor CFM at 6500 with a 95% VE is.
(250/2 x 6500 x .95)/1728 = 447 cfm.

The supercharger increases air density not engine air flow volume.

The airflow into the supercharger is the engine airflow x the superchargers pressure ratio.
The pressure ratio at 14.7 psi at sea level would be 2.
447 x 2 = 894 cfm going into the inlet of the supercharger.

The throttle body has to go on the inlet of a positive displacement supercharger or else you have no control over supercharger airflow or boost.
You will not get 95% VE ever, especially not at 6500rpm, so you wont need anything like that much airflow. I'm running 200ci, up to 18psi with a LPG mixer rated at 425cfm, its got a 65mm throttle plate, its never shown to be small. One thing to consider is that the blower will have a high DP across it than the cfm rating test pressure the is used for carbies. I would say if you want power to 6500rpm, (you wont need to rev it that hard 5500 will be enough) then you would need about 650cfm rated "carby".

I never seen this before. This is the xflow distributor
That is the common Australian made Bosch electronic system, they still used the vacuum advance and centrifugal with weights etc. I run with the vacuum advance removed and NO centrifugal advance. These are quite cheap and generally considered very reliable. I run LPG (propane) at 9:1 cr and do not have any issues with missfire etc. There is an excellent Australian made ignition form ICE, lots of people use them, they are considerably dearer than the bosch. https://www.iceignition.com/

These custom pistons are available in any bore size and any compression ratio. Turn around time for pistons is generally 16-20 weeks if not in stock.

But as Pmuller said might be best to get recetec and molnar rods at this point.

Would it be wiser to modify the factory dizzy for the coil near plug, or use the modified hyperspark?
Ryan your in luck. Look what I found. A cam angle sensor. Just need to check fitment. Should work with any ECU.

From what I read that is true. Its like .48-ish and we need .515" i believe from 66mustang's post.

Nice to hear from you. Enjoying that 2V from Cesar?

Hi Ryan, Thank you, I don't have any of those parts yet but am sure looking forward to building it into a decent combo.

ECM (ECU) recommendations? For a number of reasons, and for your application, I would intend to move now or later to MPFI on an aftermarket unit. Primary motivations are fuel distribution, per-cylinder trims (it's only as powerful as the weakest cylinder), ignition options, many additional functions, and the biggest IMO - user-friendly tuning programs for data analysis and diagnostic tuning. Faster and better tuning through information, for greater performances and more options. Unless you are independently wealthy or on a team, you either know or will want to learn diagnostic tuning. ;)

Definitely not mechanical ignition timing control. You have too much invested to stay with difficult and very limited control (more work to get less). Take your pick of ignition family (and you can do any), but if including street or endurance racing, IDI will let you squeeze more out than CDI can.

Just curious, of all the suitable options out there, why would he "need to use" the Holley kit?

Back