exhaust donut

A

Anonymous

exhaust donut won't seal at all, leaks like crazy, i've tried everything there is, my manifold has a 67 casting, i've tried 67 falcon, 65 falcon, 62-69falcon, 69-7* falcon, i don't understand why it's not working, motor is not original to car

RogueS":2wool7w2 said:
exhaust donut won't seal at all, leaks like crazy, i've tried everything there is, my manifold has a 67 casting, i've tried 67 falcon, 65 falcon, 62-69falcon, 69-7* falcon, i don't understand why it's not working, motor is not original to car

Perhaps a prior owner mismatched the exhaus manifold in order to get better breathing. If you have a 200 then the 250 would be a bolt up. The 250 has a larger diameter exhaust orfice, so the 200 donut would leak. I would check the casting number with a part book to make sure you have the manifold you think you do. good luck.

yea, i've got a 200, any clue on where i can match the numbers up at?

was just looking at the advance auto parts online shop deal, and they don't show any cars that have a 250 in 67-68

RogueS":37fxv0x2 said:
yea, i've got a 200, any clue on where i can match the numbers up at?

was just looking at the advance auto parts online shop deal, and they don't show any cars that have a 250 in 67-68

If you measure the diameter of the opening at the outlet of the manifold and send me that number, I will compare with with the 200 manifold I have. Even though the 250 did not come out till 69, a prior owner could have swapped the 250 manifold onto the earlier 200. This is a popular swap and some of the mustang parts catalogs actually sell new 250 manifolds for this express purpose.

my bad on the year, it's a 77 casting not a 67, i wasnt paying attention to what i had read, the casting on it is D7BE 9430 0A

RogueS":2yyx7tpx said:
my bad on the year, it's a 77 casting not a 67, i wasnt paying attention to what i had read, the casting on it is D7BE 9430 0A

dollar to donuts (pun intended) you have a 250 manifold. I do not have a parts number engine book for 1977 but I think the 200 ceased production by then. This would mean you have a 250 manifold, by default. That might be the easiest way to check it out. Call a Ford dealer and ask the service manager what year Ford stopped making the 200 I6. Please let us know how it turns out.

BTW, how do I reply to postings here without hitting the quote button. I am a newbie and the navigation is different from what I am used to at VMF.

Thanks

um, im thinkin the 200 was in production all the way up to 83, what i think the problem is, is the person who put the motor in my car, left the '65 exhaust downpipe the same, so there's no way for it to fit, got a donut out of a 78 fairmont 200 and it seems to fit the manifold good and has a flat top and bottom that fit on the downpipe and seem to seal it up

Wow, thanks. This is much easier. Don't know why I did not see it.

Since we're on the subject of exh. donuts, which is the best to use -- metal or fiber (or whatever they call it)??
Thanks.

Tom

Back