FSPP Alloy Valve Covers - updated 6-7

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Just thought I'd give you guys a preview.

The patterns are done and on their way to the foundry to have two sand cast proto types produced. These are needed to verify fitment (all dimensions) and appearance. Once we are sure no changes are required, the mold plates will be produced and sent to the foundry for the production run. Both proto types will be fully machined. One will be polished, the other hypercoated.

The covers will be drilled, machined, and fitted with grommets for push in caps and breathers. Or may be ordered drilled and taped for screw in caps and accessories. Yes, they will be baffled. Finishes may include unpainted, powder coated, fully polished, anodized, and/or hypercoated. Colors being looked at: red, blue, silver, gold, and black. Optional hypercoat colors (green, purple, orange, pearl, etc) may be offered by special request. Suggestions and comments are welcome, either here in this post, or via PM.

Approximate completion date: Oct 1, 2005 (hopefully sooner) ;)
Price not established yet. Sorry.

Ford%206%20VC%20001sm.jpg

Here's an update - the first sand cast is done. I was shocked as they just told me last Friday that the patterns were done. Maybe they will be ready sooner than I expected. :D :D :D For more photos, go to the FSPP website Home Page and scroll to the bottom. ;)

Ford%206%20VC%20002sm.jpg
Ford%206%20VC%20007sm.jpg

not so sure about the red or blue for the colors, if someone painted their engine Ford blue, and the color for the valve cover was just blue, it'd be off...
i like black though

i bet if you supplied a higher rez pic someone on here could photoshop it various colors

Hopefully these turn out as good as they seem. Coming from you I am sure they will, I agree with Evan about the colors, They just wouldnt look right in my opinion.... Tommy

Basically, its similar to Jet Hot Steerling ceramic coating, but comes in colors and is used for low temp (up to 600*) applications. They show just a few of the colors on their website. I think there are currently about thirty colors available. I hope to do an air cleaner and timing cover as well, in matching colors and style (with ribs).

It gives a very smooth finish, which is stain resistant, and easy to clean & polish.

http://www.hpcoatings.com/appearance_coatings.htm

Here's an example of what the colors look like on valve covers. On my covers, the ribs will be lightly machined after the coating is applied, so they are shinny (like the lettering on these).

5colored-VCs.jpg

Wow! That is an excellent design. The fins at the top are exactly what I would want. With a black or dark Ford Blue coating there is a large amount of heat that can be removed through radiation.

I will want one raw for power coating.

Thanks again Mike.

Ric.

I would prob only want mine painted between the ribs ....but I am too poor right now for one. a timing cover would be sweet too!! maybe you could come up with a carb spacer for doing direct mount 2300's? I would if one could be setup like the old offy/edelbrock setups using u bolts and orings?

62fairlane170":fv37aqdl said:
maybe you could come up with a carb spacer for doing direct mount 2300's? I would if one could be setup like the old offy/edelbrock setups using u bolts and orings?

:nod:

AzCoupe":2o9o34lc said:
Finishes may include unpainted, powder coated, fully polished, anodized, and/or hypercoated. Colors being looked at: red, blue, silver, gold, and black. Optional hypercoat colors (green, purple, orange, pearl, etc) may be offered by special request. Suggestions and comments are welcome, either here in this post, or via PM.

Ford%206%20VC%20001sm.jpg

Pandora's box, Mike. One of the things I've learned here is that we are SO individualistic that you could have a zillion colors and finishes and still not everyone would be satisfied. I think a simple choice of polished or not would suffice. It keeps the cost down and gives everyone an opportunity to do their own thing.

One question Mike, it looks very similar to the vintage Edelbrock cover, do you know if that design is patented, just to be on the safe side, I'm sure you don't want a big ass company...well...on your ass.... :unsure:

Alex

The Edelbrook covers had ribs all the way from the front gasket rim to the back gasket rim if I remember correctly.

I sent the pattern maker a stock steel cover and told him I wanted ribs on the top. No script, and two pads for oil and breather caps. This is what he came up with. It's not a copy.

I would guess, all ribbed covers look similar. There's not many things you can do to change them. If a patent infringment was an issue, then I suppose all subsequent covers would be coppies of the very first design. Wouldn't the same hold true for fabricated covers too.

As for the KISS therory, I plan to stock two finishes. One unfinished (or raw) and one fully polished. All other finishes will be by special order only, but will be available on request. HPC is just around the corner from my office, so its no big deal to drop them off during my lunch break.

I'll take mine raw

Then GLASS BEAD blast it.

Then clear coat it.

Maybe polish the ribs, then clear coat it.

I think you need to put some ribs on the inside. Then the motor can have as much fun as the onlookers. ;)

Back