Hard Starting When Hot

Take this advice with a grain of salt, but it seemed to work for me on those hot summer days. Head to Wal-mart and buy a cheap cutting board. Cut out a piece to mount under the coolant plate (the one with the hoses) using a gasket as a template. Throw it in there. Make sure the surfaces are smooth. I lost a little power it seems, but the hot start issue was gone.

JT81stang":32nrau9w said:
One other reason I use a electric fuel pump is when going to cruise night or car show or going anywhere, just before I arrive I can shut the pump off and let the fuel in the bowl get me into the parking lot or wherever. This way the bowl is nearly empty just as I shut the car off. When I go to leave, I turn the key to 'on' position then turn the fuel pump on......wait a few seconds, and fire her up....... (y)
Clever (y)
I've done a similar thing for years on my 1941 John Deere tractor; I kill it by just shutting off the fuel and letting it fast idle until it dies. Never thought about applying that method to a vehicle though :unsure:
Joe

burnoutstang1":2kvxya5n said:
Take this advice with a grain of salt, but it seemed to work for me on those hot summer days. Head to Wal-mart and buy a cheap cutting board. Cut out a piece to mount under the coolant plate (the one with the hoses) using a gasket as a template. Throw it in there. Make sure the surfaces are smooth. I lost a little power it seems, but the hot start issue was gone.

What kind of cutting board? Wood? Plastic? Seems like it could work but I'd have to give up something as the aircleaner only has 1/2" clearance to the hood. The stock gasket certainly does nothing to insulate the carb from the heat. I'll try anything at this point. :arg:

You can use almost anything that can tolerate high (but not extreme) heat: melamine, artificial marble, Wilsonart composite counter top material, oak, birch, maple planks. One of the guys here made one out of marine plywood. The plywood, hardwood and Wilsonart could be found as remnants from a lumberyard or cabinet shop.

The woods have the advantage that they are relatively stable but will expand slightly to seal the surfaces in the presence of oil. You would make gaskets with off the shelf gasket material and use a gasket sealer when mounting.

Mine was just a regular white cutting board. I don't recall it being plastic, it was made of a different material similar to some of those listed above. It was like $3 at Wal Mart. It stood up just fine to the temperatures under the hood, never melted. Of course I would do little tests before taking it out on a long trip. The last thing you want is melted plastic in your engine. :unsure:

I'm off next week so shopping it is. I'm willing to try anything at this point. It's a very annoying problem and these "wet" starts can't be good to the catalytic converter either.

It might be a week or so but I promise to report back. I'm sure the original poster jtan540 is taking aciton too. :thanks:

Back