Head Indentification....

A

Anonymous

Well I have been full of questions lately so why stop now ? ! :)

On the XF head i have there are plenty of markings, such as c2a, 123687 (no, not firing order..) and 226 from memory. Are these numbers indicative of any certain design traits or years ?.

We have read plenty of posts about someone who wants to know what year their head is but maybe we can put together a more comprehensive listing as a general reference.....

Sounds good. My Kiwi-assembled Feb 1984 XE Falcon GL runs a large J stamped beside the thermo housing, embosed cast -in 73YD on the front beside the number one intake tract but facing the front, and is stamped 321 in small font in a vertical decending order above number one intake tract. Don't know what the other castings are, haven't had the rocker cover off since 1997!

Head has EFI intake port relief cuts, had 53 cc chambers and doesn't have the kidney-shaped chamber of the XF's. My Alloy Head II was almost the same as my friends XD Alloy Head I

The alloy head is indestructable...the shonky car-shark we got it from had the headgasket mating face coarse sanded and a mono-torque gasket fitted. The gasket blew not because of water, but detonation between number 4 and 5 when it ran on the yukky Landi-hartog duel fuel LP Gas system. In cylinder 5, the WHOLE alloy surrounding the exhast valve melted. It had become moltern and ended up out the exhast. The seat remained intact! The pre-ULP spec seats saved the valve but transfered heat into the alloy. Then the headgasket blew, and issued nice superheated H20 into the chamber!

The head got TIG welded, re-inserted and still runs the same valves today. A new seat got inserted, and the chamber re-cc'd to lower the compression half a point in number 5.

Ask the V8 guys what happens when a Clevo overheats..cracked heads, dropped valves, guide wear. My Honda headed weapon has lived to fight another day!

Back