Help indentifying this Ford straight six...

:unsure: yes I agree with that statement, and it could be very possibile that someone has assembled this strange combo of parts for some reason like they had some good parts so they used them. The engines short block and head casting date codes would match quite closely and roughly be within 2 weeks or less if the engine was still as Ford originally assembled it. After this many decades since Ford Designed and Manufactured these parts, plus their use since it isn't going to be as easy to know. :nod:

OK,
What's the consensus so far?
1960 170 'truck'?
(head match the block?) What do we have here?
bubba - can you summerize?

May B a moot point, I don't see the OP back yet...
Thnx ~

Quick update. Here is the requested pic of the stamping that will hopefully allow for a positive ID for this engine.
Let me know if this helps.

Thanks again!

f0ccc0.jpg

No, it's not a moot point. I have replied but it seems the moderator hasn't approved the reply post from yesterday with the image of the requested stamp on the block....

rudy18d":mst0ae12 said:
Quick update. Here is the requested pic of the stamping that will hopefully allow for a positive ID for this engine.
Let me know if this helps.

Thanks again!

f0ccc0.jpg

Yes that helps it is the casting date code for the block. Ok from this casting date code we can know that the block was cast at the Ford engine foundry on October 11, 1963. Did you check that the blocks design numbers were the same with your previous post?

So to recap we have a 4 year and almost a month earlier head (early Falcon head cast on Sept. 15, 1959) that is from a 144 or 170 bolted on a later model 1964 short block (cast on Oct. 11, 1963). So short block could be a 170 or maybe even one of the first 200's (i.e. A Pre 7 main block) that was likely an industrial engine. With a 1968 or 9 valve cover and the same late 1968-9 point type distributor. If the short block is one of the early 200 engine blocks they are rarely seen now days. X2 Since it's a 1963 block then you could also ID it further by looking to see if the boss for the plugged road draf tube is stamped with a letter as was stated in Econolines above post. I have never seen the inside of one these small six industrial engines so don't know what differences they might have from the Falcon car engines. I do remember seeing them in some farm equipment many years ago when visiting my uncle's farm in N.D. Good luck :nod: Edited

yeah, ford 8N or 9N's with ford car motors…hehehe
(OMG)
a history lesson in Y NAPA is still able 2 get U tractor prts!

We haven't seen the block casting numbers yet have we? (R those the lill tinny 1s shown beside the fuel pump fitting?).

I'm more familiar with the embossed (standing proud of the surface of the side of the block) approximately 1 inch top to bottom sz, seen on the 'passenger's side', to the rear of the 'down tube' of the exhaust.

"...No, it's not a moot point. I have replied but it seems the moderator hasn't approved the reply post from yesterday with the image of the requested stamp on the block…."

post up ur private email in-box if U want contact Eric...

drag-200stang":4vhsijku said:
It looks like we now have evidence of the date cast, being before the design date (year).

Yes, I was sure wrong on the early year model production parts thanks for keeping me honest "drag-200stang". So my previous assumption that the casting date code had to always be added onto the design number isn't true in these cases. I have also edited my above posts to correct my mistake. I should have remembered these things from when I worked at the Ford assembly plant in Pico Rivera, Ca. but that was a long time ago. We would close down for two weeks during late June or early July for the next model year change over, yet many parts from the perilous year were continued in use on the next year. (y)

We goin, we goin !

Back