High Flow - Pre 78' Heads

66200i6

Famous Member
I have decided to stick with the Pre-78' head. I want to go with the lower RPM high torque but don't want to limit the flow. Is there enough difference in head design in the Pre-78' heads to select one for rebuild over another.

Thanks in advance, Ric.

In my Humble opinion there isn't enough difference between a '69 "M" head and all of the years inbetween an '80 head in manifold volume to make a signifcant difference in flow. A 69 head can be made into a 78 head by adding the better intakes and hardened seats as part of a rebuild.

The diff. in the heads (69 vs. 80) is the larger intake valve size and the hardened seats for lead-less gasoline. The combustion chambers may also vary slightly, but it's nothing a minor milling job can't cure.

A '68 to '65 200 head has the manifold volume drop significantly. It also has a smaller carb bore hole.

Good Luck

HELLO AGAIN...RICK

I PUT A POST IN ABOUT 1:30 TODAY AND IT HAS BEEN LOST....!!!!????

NOW THAT'S DONE.

I RE-BUILT MY...DODE-6090-A... HEAD FROM A 1970 MAV. 170 CU.IN. MOTOR.

I PUT 289 V8 SPRINGS AND 260 V8 VALVE RETAINERS. I HADS PORTING UNDER THE INTAKE VALVE DONE AND DID THE FULL EXHAUST SIDE. IT WAS WAS JUST CLEAN AND SMOOTH. KEPT THE STOCK VALVE SIZE,(THEY'RE BIGGER THAN 1968'S) NO MILLING OF HEAD. ( THEY PAINTED IT FOR ME!)

THIS HEAD HAS A SMALLER COMBUSTION CHAMBER. IT ABOUT 51CC TO 54 CC. THIS WILL RAISE THE C'PRSSION RATIO ABOUT ONE HALF A POINT. FROM 8.9 TO 9.4....THAT'S IF YOU HAVE THE SMALLER DISHED PISTONS. IT HAS THE LARGER INT. MANIFOLD. THE 1.75 CARB. BASE SIZE. ALSO UPGRADE TO A 1970 OR HIGHER EXHAUST MANIFOLD TO GET A 2" PIPE FOR BETTER BREATHING.

MY CHANGES WERE,... LONGER RUNS IN LOW AN 2nd GEARS WHEN I NEEDED THEM....I SAW OVER 10 MPH BETTER FROM MY 2nd GEAR....THE TORQUE WAS BETTER AT LOW SPEEDS IN ALL GEARS.... MILEAGE WAS UP ALITTLE... IT RAN ALITTLE HOTTER...( NO CHANGE)DIDN'T HAVE TO GO UP TO A HIGHER OCTANE GAS.

LATER I PUT IN MY CAM AND THE MOTOR WAS VERY GOOD. THE CHANGES TO THE HEAD ARE THE ONLY BIG CHANGE THAT FORD DID FOR THE TEN YRS. THAT IT WAS OUT THERE. IT'S NOT THE BEST HEAD,... BUT IT IS A MUCH BETTER HEAD THAN A 1965 MODEL.

THIS IS A VERY GOOD HEAD FOR WHAT YOU SAID YOU WERE LOOKING FOR...!

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

P.S. I HOPE THIS ONE MAKE IT....!!

Thanks Leroy, that is kind of what I had in mind. However I guess my post title and description was off. I was under the impression the pre-78' was the smaller 1.5 inch log. What I had in mind was to keep the velocity in the intake and through the valves at the high end even at idle.

I was hoping to find out if the 1.5-inch log design changed at any point at the valve or chamber.

It would be nice to see a data table with all of the changes in valve, log, chamber size ect. from early to late I6 design. I wonder if that is included in the Falcon Manual?

Thanks again, Ric.

Back