Hooker's for 250?

I just got a 250 with Hooker Super Comps. I went outside in my pj's to verify that it's stamped Mexico 6602.

66Ranchero032.jpg

I hope it fits in a '66 Ranchero... Originally, this motor was thought to be a 200, which is what's in it right now. I need a V8 bellhousing and a T5 to do a test fit. Well, we'll see what happens.

Next logical question to figger' -

Will a PMRG "mini" starter fit the 250 block. The proximity of the headers to the starter begs the question.

There is some debate wether the top mounted solenoid will clear the casting.

-------------------

And about them hanging too low-

With the250 and headers in place on the '61 the outboard collector is about 1/2" below the subframe: Just about right for longtubes', If clearance is a concern look to Clifford "Shorty's or other source.

Powerband

jahearne":zwry1nm5 said:
I just got a 250 with Hooker Super Comps. I went outside in my pj's to verify that it's stamped Mexico 6602.

66Ranchero032.jpg

I hope it fits in a '66 Ranchero... Originally, this motor was thought to be a 200, which is what's in it right now. I need a V8 bellhousing and a T5 to do a test fit. Well, we'll see what happens.

Nah, those hooker 6602's will never fit. You're best bet will be to just let me take them off your hands! :rolflmao:

I got the Hooker's back from media blasting and after two coats of POR-20, even the 100+ degrees in the garage couldn't deter me from trying to get them in the early roundbody-'61 Comet ...

The Hooker 6602's on the 250 do fit in the '61!. In fact they fit the engine bay better than the 6601's on the 170 did as far as not hitting the shock tower.
ENGINEWITHHEADERSNICEPIC_WEB.jpg

BUT... The steering gear has multiple "issues" with them:

> The center link is right in the way of the tubes (and the starter)
STARTER_WEB.jpg

As per the Scheldahl bros' book , I "flipped" the link by reaming the idler arm and pittman to mount it from the bottom. The Header tubes would never fit without this - thanks guys!. :
TIERODFLIP_WEB.jpg

> The idler arm bracket interferes significantly with the # 2 tube and more problematic, the # 1 tube interferes with the idler arm when it swings left (right turn):
TIEIDLERINTERFCU_WEB.jpg

TIEIDLERINTERFCU2_WEB.jpg

IDLERINTERFFROMTOPCU_WEB.jpg

I'm a litttle reluctant (embarassed) to show the solution for me was the precision forming tool (BFH)
I had the idler arm in and out at least a dozen times marking, heating and "forming" to minimize damage. :
HEADERTUBEBFHCU1_WEB.jpg

HEADERTUBEBFHCU2_WEB.jpg

I am concerned with the amount of restriction I made on the #1 tube . I probably crushed it @ 30-40%. With a switch to disc spindles and VeeAte steering perhaps it would not be as problematic?. I don't know where the VeeAte idler winds up.

Now I can continue with the other "issues" of the 250 in an early roundbody .
th_PUMPCLEARANCECU_WEB.jpg
-
th_NEWMMCU_WEB-1.jpg
-
th_BELLYBARINTERF1_WEB.jpg

th_FWINTERFERENCE_WEB.jpg
-
th_ZBAR_IGN_WEB.jpg

FULLSHOTCAR_HOOD_WEB.jpg

CARBS2BBLACFS_WEB.jpg

Powerband 8)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Powerband/

Gene Fiore, if I have to do that much bashing to get those headers to fit, they're yours.
I'm looking for a T5 tranny to do a test fit with the whole package.

I would definately be interested in buying the headers from you if it doesn't work out. That would be prior to taking a BFH to them! lol Too bad powerband had to do that to his set. Send me a pm or email if you get to that point.

Back