How far should timing actually be advanced?

Alright, instead of starting another thread I figured I would go ahead and ask something on here since it's closely related.

I don't BELIEVE my vacuum advance is working. Whenever I plug the vacuum line, the timing mark doesn't move. It doesn't seem to make a difference as to whether it's on the line on the distributor or not. It DID work on the old distributor (moved the timing mark by 2-3 degrees). I was thinking maybe my advance unit is either out of adjustment or no good. Is there any way to adjust the vacuum advance, or is there anyway I can use the advance unit from my old 66 distributor?

I'm getting a hesitation when hard accelerating from a dead stop, this might be carb related, but since I'm noticing it a lot more lately I figured I start with something that I've recently changed.

68 distributor and non-SCV carb: Using ported vacuum for distributor will not affect timing at idle. Only when throttle is opened that it draws vacuum.

200ci66":1x7n6864 said:
I don't BELIEVE my vacuum advance is working.

Very easy to check it, get a 3-4 foot length of vacuum hose, connect it to the canister, remove the top of the distributor, and suck on the hose. The rotor/plate should move, and you should get a solid resistance while sucking (no blow through).

It seems that vacuum canisters do not last very long anymore. The rebuilt duraspark unit I run lasted about 5 years. Others have said they only get 1-2 years from a new canister.

A hole in the vacuum canister will definitely give you a big stumble off idle, and low power. Dying in an intersection, etc.

John/Fresno

Hmm.. well it doesn't seem that's the problem. It DOES move. Looks like it's time to move on to the fuel system and look into rejetting the carb.

Vacuum advance contrary to many long winded stories on the internet , do not contribute to better acceleration or part throttle response , UNLESS the mechanical curve is WRONG,In the early days of performance up till the mid 70's a Dual Point Dist ( NO VACUUM ADVANCE ) was used on many of the performance engines from the factory , Vacuum advance was invented for 2 reasons , First to get a bit better fuel economy , and later to reduce emissions, NOT for drivability or performance , when tuning a combo do it with the Vac disconnected , just like setting initial timing , afterwards hook it up and see if it helps , there are many different Vac canisters and they come in at different inches of Vac and allow different totals , all of this is part of a Dist Recurve , just picking one part and saying its moving proves nothing , when you by a reman unit it is NOT optimized for anything , it will function , and many times on a OK level , BUT never a Optimum level. I cant teach Dist recurving , by typing a few paragraphs , that would only be a 3rd of the equation , how , plus why , plus experience is needed along with the proper equipment , adding a spring , bending a tab , welding up a slot , is part of how , not all of it

Back