300ci How much actual boost and timing you run on your 300

This applies to 300ci engines only

brnwaxa52

Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
After the Power Nation episode of the turbo 300 with 9.9 to 1 compression ratio, 12 lbs boost and 31 degrees timing. I would like to ask questions and take a pole. Question only for those who have actually had a turbocharged 300/4.9 PLEASE

What compression ratio

What boost

What total timing

What fuel

What is normal ambient temperature, we see 100 plus here in central Texas

Are you fuel injected/EFI

Are you intercooled

Do you have water methional injection

How long has it been running

Any other factors?

I started this project many layers of technology back. It is a excessive compulsive experiment. It has been running for some time, but I have not finished the tune because im helping the grandkids with their 4.9 project. I’ve been a member here since 2016. The truck is a 1981 F250 4speed 4X4.

Started with a .030 block

Custom made JE pistons with short compression height chevy pin size

6.8 forged rods by Pauter with Full floating pin. ( I have some bent 240 rods)

Total Seal gapless. Oil ring support because short compression height pin is behind the oil ring

Steel Crankshaft

Rotating assy balanced.

Blue printed for an 8.8-1 CR

Crower turbo grind from the day Grind E29279

In 259 deg .477 lift & 199 deg @.050

Ex 265 deg .498 lift & 207 deg @.050

Lobe separation 112 Deg on a 108 centerline

1.7-1 rockers Harland Sharp

7/16 screw in studs

Porting and polishing done here.

ARP head studs, main studs, and rod bolts.

Head Gasket #3 from Flatout Gaskets Graphite with stainless fire ring PN# 9115G This is not in the catalog but is likely in stock. “The best by far” They can do custom bore sizes and copper.

Factory Ford EFI intake manifold modified for 351 throttle body

Borg Warner EFR 7163 .80 A/R twin scroll turbo . BOV and waste gate are internal

MegaSquirt MS3PRO ECM Sequential and Coil on plug, 60 Lb injectors

Shop built Water / Methanol injection Controlled by MS3 Pro, 7 Gal under bed tank

Shop made stainless steel header for twin Scroll turbo. Divided cylinders 123 & 456

3” exhaust

Air to water intercooler from FrozenBoost

8 QT oil pan

Oil cooler

Attachments

• ENG pan header plumb.jpg
    ENG pan header plumb.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 69
  • ENG Frnt LH.jpg
    ENG Frnt LH.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 65
  • ENG back LH.jpg
    ENG back LH.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 64
  • ENG Intake Turbo plumb.jpg
    ENG Intake Turbo plumb.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 65
  • ENG LH.jpg
    ENG LH.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 64
Nice work! Do you have a link for Flatout Gaskets? I'd like to check those out.

I can't add much detail but I had a 300 turbo running on propane in my 67 Mustang about 48 years ago when I was 17-18 years old and my memory of the details has faded. I ran the turbo with two different heads. The first was an prototype single overhead cam hemi from Ford. See link below. Then I had a large valve ported 240 head. I ran around 7 or 8 pounds of boost max with the hemi head as my dad did not want me wrecking it. I ran about 10-12 pounds on the 240 head on the street. Used both water and then alcohol injection with the propane. It had a large air research turbo. No intercooler. Custom exhaust manifold with wastegate. Aluminum intake, probably Clifford. We took it to the drag strip once with the 240 head and jacked the boost up to around 15 to 18 pounds, can't remember exactly but with small tires it was useless trying to make a decent pass. My dad was worried about the bottom end so he didn't want to go any higher on the boost.

Before I got it, he ran the engine with the 240 head naturally aspirated at Bonneville with weber carbs and then at the Pikes Peak hill climb with Hiborn fuel injection. The next year he ran a turbo on it at Pikes Peak. So when I got his Mustang we put this engine in it. It had a copper head gasket with a ringed deck, head studs. I can't remember if the crank was forged or cast, most likely forged. Custom forged flat top pistons, can't remember who made them. Stock distributor. 4 speed Top Loader with a overdrive unit on the rear end. Ed Iskendarian used to make custom cams for my dad but I don't what the specs were when I had it in my car. I know it didn't have much overlap because I used to complain to him about not having any lope and being a kid in high school I wanted a mean sounding idle instead of a tractor motor. However it was the fastest car in school.

Hemi Head 300 6

Im getting zero traction on my boost/timing question, even after I started its own thread. do you have any further advice? Would you ask the same question and see what happens?
Most everyone here is quick to reply if they have something to contribute.
There have been close to a dozen turbocharged 300 projects started but none finished or was run successfully.

Talk with Steve, aka "a91what" at Stangnet.

SendMeUrDataLog, the Mod Dude

Tell him Dean Stevenson (XECUTE) sent you. Your needs and wants are the same as Mikes were when he did his overhead valve in line six.

None of the the old borsh about timing verses turbo boost are an issue if you have a good cam, good pistons, and a nice turbo with water and meth. MegaSquirt can cope with anything you throw its way.

Steve tuned an 11:1 compression ratio 450 hp 250 six with Australian Alloy head for Mike1157. After 612 pages of 4.1 liter fun, MR mike1157 has become CarMichealAngelo and that cat is now onto 600 hp 3 liter Toyota Nirvana...see "https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...se-and-call-me-in-the-morning.917938/page-118"

Our "Master of All Things Six" Jack Collins intended the MegaSquirt forum to address EFI tuning matters. Area 51 is indeed the right name for it because only an Alien from New Zealand like me has frequented it, and then only to explain how much better Ford Motor Company did engine control stock

See "https://fordsix.com/forums/fuel-injection-mega-squirt.51/"

Sadly, we six cylinder guys are universally low apptitude, non performance guys who have trouble understanding any TFi or CFi or 4bbl intake or fuel return line or even a basic tutorial on cam or turbo selection. But that's just how it has been in the past. Going forward, just hook into the low hanging MegaSquirt fruit, and do so while it's still legal.

Nice work! Do you have a link for Flatout Gaskets? I'd like to check those out.

I can't add much detail but I had a 300 turbo running on propane in my 67 Mustang about 48 years ago when I was 17-18 years old and my memory of the details has faded. I ran the turbo with two different heads. The first was an prototype single overhead cam hemi from Ford. See link below. Then I had a large valve ported 240 head. I ran around 7 or 8 pounds of boost max with the hemi head as my dad did not want me wrecking it. I ran about 10-12 pounds on the 240 head on the street. Used both water and then alcohol injection with the propane. It had a large air research turbo. No intercooler. Custom exhaust manifold with wastegate. Aluminum intake, probably Clifford. We took it to the drag strip once with the 240 head and jacked the boost up to around 15 to 18 pounds, can't remember exactly but with small tires it was useless trying to make a decent pass. My dad was worried about the bottom end so he didn't want to go any higher on the boost.

Before I got it, he ran the engine with the 240 head naturally aspirated at Bonneville with weber carbs and then at the Pikes Peak hill climb with Hiborn fuel injection. The next year he ran a turbo on it at Pikes Peak. So when I got his Mustang we put this engine in it. It had a copper head gasket with a ringed deck, head studs. I can't remember if the crank was forged or cast, most likely forged. Custom forged flat top pistons, can't remember who made them. Stock distributor. 4 speed Top Loader with a overdrive unit on the rear end. Ed Iskendarian used to make custom cams for my dad but I don't what the specs were when I had it in my car. I know it didn't have much overlap because I used to complain to him about not having any lope and being a kid in high school I wanted a mean sounding idle instead of a tractor motor. However it was the fastest car in school.

Hemi Head 300 6
Thank you for sharing

www.https://www.flatoutgroup.com/
very nice to work with

Flatout Gaskets Graphite with stainless fire ring PN# 9115G This is not in the catalog but is likely in stock.

After the Power Nation episode of the turbo 300 with 9.9 to 1 compression ratio, 12 lbs boost and 31 degrees timing. I would like to ask questions and take a pole.
The 31 degrees of timing was total timing before boost.
The new Progression Ignition distributor was used and you can clearly see the boost reference line connected to the bottom of the distributor on the third dyno run.
The distributor pulled timing out as the boost increased. I suspect the timing was as low as 18 degrees at full boost.

The engine was run relatively cold with cold water for engine coolant.
The intercooler was very large.
The full 13 lbs of boost was only present from 4400 rpm to the end of the pull at 5000 rpm which was barely one second. Not much time to build heat.

The engine was built for a Dyno application and not necessarily for vehicle use.
Since this was new territory for them they will take what they learned here for the the next build.

As Pat said:
"This was a very fun project and shows what can be easily done to improve power on this extremely robust 6 banger. This engine was built with a parts selection for our intended application. Of course there are things what we would do differently if we had a different role for the engine. Thats what custom engine building is: Building something to do a specific task. I encourage anyone who builds their particular combination to get it on a dyno and post your results. Since we are treading new ground on this we have to start somewhere and adjust form there. For the first whack at it the results were great and has lead to what we will be doing for the next build."

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. It makes sense now. It was at the least a great well done episode and has spurred a lot of interest. I hope to see more like it! this is somewhat new territory. Great thanks
Bill

The next engine will use the fully ported Promaxx head which flows 20 cfm more than the one used in this video.

As you look at the naturally aspirated video and the boosted video you will notice that engine torque rolls off after 4000 rpm while the large 72mm turbo doesn't make peak boost (13.2 psi) till 4400 rpm.
They will need more cam to bring the torque curve into the peak boost area.

The stock connecting rods will need to be replaced with aftermarket rods.

Not sure what they will do about the block being .050" overbore?

Then they can run as high as 20 lbs of boost which should make crazy amounts of torque and horsepower.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
I do not know what the normal response is for episodes but his one already has 1825 comments. And the highest percentage of comments were over the top impressed and glued for the next one. I was inspired by the success of the Ecoboost.I have a twin scroll Borg Warner, A divided header, and the factory EFI intake is divided as well. Even with my limited boost and conservative timing this thing is fun to drive. I went for longevity and drivability.

I have a twin scroll Borg Warner, A divided header, and the factory EFI intake is divided as well. Even with my limited boost and conservative timing this thing is fun to drive. I went for longevity and drivability.
I'm impressed with your header, choice of components and the clean looking layout. A job well done!

Back