How often do you change oil?

A

Anonymous

I don't know how vintage cars should be. Just wondering. I got a 66 200
Six. And I'm using Mobil 1 10W - 50.

Thanks. :D

in my 65...I end up changing it about every 3-4 months. During the summer, that amounts to about 3000 miles.

Slade

97 GMC van w/ mobil 1, about every 15,000 miles
66 Mustang w/ dino, about every 5,000 miles
57 Chevy truck w/ dino, about every 3,000 miles

The sticker under my hood says change oil every 6000 miles. I have routinely changed my oil every 3000 miles and keep a small stenogragpher notebook in the glovebox to keep track. I use 10W-30 in the engine and try to stay with Pennzoil. O'reilly oil works just as well. Be sure and change the oil filter.

That 3000-mile mark comes from an average. The result of driving causes a change to the oil. It used to be necessary to change just because of the breakdown of the oil itself. Today’s oils will continue to lubricate through several thousand miles. The only problem left is the grit (particulate) and acid. We all know the grit comes from friction, which occurs mostly at startup (hence the need for pre-oilier). The acid, if I remember correctly is created from frequent temperature changes to the oil. Up in the morning to get to work and from work to home five days a week. This heating and cooling of the oil creates the acid that causes wear. If you’re one of these retired guys that is no longer making the trip to the office, the acid does not develop as quickly. Instead most of the mileage is freeway miles and the oil is maintained at operating temp. That's why the term freeway miles make a difference. Less startups (less grit) and fewer changes to oil temp (less acid).

The only way to know for sure is to take a sample of your oil and have it check for particulate and acids. Amzoil use to provide the service but I found that for the work car anywhere between 3K and 5K was ok depending on the time of year.

If in doubt oil is cheap insurance. Shoot for the 3K mark and these inline six’s will last forever.

Have fun, Ric.

Man everyone is always got an opinion about when to change oil. 3000 6000 miles filters every other oil change etc.....

I change my oil when it gets dirty!!!!

If that turns out to be 3k or 4k or 6k then so be it. If I pull the dipstick at 3k and the oil is still somewhat clean then guess what I'm not going to waste my money and time changing just cause Jiffy lub or a manufactur says to change it every 3k. How fast your oil gets dirty depends on the area you live in and what type of driving you do.

I just change filters every 4 months or so

my 170 eats almost a quart a week so I am always adding fresh oil. that and I want it to get weak so I have a reason to swap a 250 in.

nick

In the late sixties and early seventies the manufactures were telling folks on the sickers and in thier advertisements thet thier new cars could go 6000 miles between oil changes. This was for ideal conditions. I don't know anybody thet drives like this. I had a 85 300 hundred thet I bought new and at about 50000 miles I let the oil change go to 5000 miles and lost a lifter. I change 3000 miles if I have too stop in the middle of a trip. It IS CHEAP insurance. Also in the fifties we used to change oil filters every other oil change, oil changes were every 1000 miles in those days and some cars didn't even have oil filters. Not so these days change the oil and the filter.

You guys must have better engines then I do. If I let mine go a mile over 2500 it starts smoking and eating oil. I typically aim for 2k in the '68, however my SWMBO's '94 GMC goes 3k normally and 4k if on a trip without any issues, and oil is cheap and easy to change.

My first car was a '66 Malibu 4dr (with '69 350 2bbl) that would eat a quart of oil every 60 miles. I never changed oil in that thing, just kept adding and changed the filter (when I remembered to).

I was reading Dad's original brochure (sp) that came with his '68 and it said change oil every 6k and filter every 12k. Dino oil musta been hard to come by back in the day..

ron

TO THE POST

I CHANGE MY OIL FOR IN-TOWN DRIVING EVERY 2000 MILES. THAT IS ABOUT 3 MO.

I'VE FOUND THAT ON THE ROAD, TRIPS OVER 5000 MILES AT A TIME , THAT THE OIL COLOR WON'T CHANGE, AND IS CLEAR. I WILL DRIVE IN TOWN FOR ONLY A FEW MILES AND IT WILL CHANGE AND GET DARKER. THAT IS WHEN I CHANGE IT. I BELIEVE THAT THE CITY DRIVING I DO HERE IS VERY HARD ON OIL. ( THAT'S STOP AND GO ... HERE IN SAN JOSE.)

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

My 66 Stang with 200 leaked 1/2 qt in 4100 miles, in July, maintaining a cruising speed of 70-80 MPH. 8)
I change oil (Mobil 1 10W-30) and filter before going on the road (3000+ miles in 2001 and 4000+ in 2002).
Discoloration of the oil mostly means that the contaminants are in suspension. I have a 96 Merc Mystique with 105,000+, and change oil (Mobil 1 5W-30) every 5K, by the book. It doesn't blow any oil, but has started leaking a bit somewhere. I never rev it past 6500 RPM. :D

Technology and quality of motor oils has increased greatly since the cardboard and metal cans of yesteryear. The 3K mi/3 mos. schedule is promoted by the oil companies and not your manufacturer. In Europe, the cost of oil is so expensive that every 3K miles would seem rediculous and wasteful.

I use Mobil 1 0W30 in out '97 Subaru and '00 Ranger, and change it every 6000 or 6 mos. In all honesty that is probably overkill. I should probably change it every 12K and the filter every 6K. They both are used for mainly highway driving.

My '97 Jeep gets Mobil 1 10W30 every 4K but sees some rough use and mostly in town driving. At 120K there are no leaks whatsoever or oil consumption. Personally I think synthetic oils have certain elements that keep those seals conditioned.

The Falcon will probably get 15W40 fleet oil and changed every month when in use. It's a used junkyard engine and will have flame throwers, which have a tendency to thin the oil with fuel.

The Ranchero gets Mobil 1 15W50 High Performance oil changed every 3-6 months depending on use. It's a 350 HP 289 with a manual tranny so it gets to see lots of high RPMs and hard use. Also with the money invested I see it's just preventive maintence.

On the ol' Fairmont and Zephyr, I try to go about 3k, I'll change at 2750 if I know I'm going on a long trip. I'll let it slip to 4000 if I'm busy.
On newer cars (less than 150K and running well) I do between 4500 and 5000.
My ex, on the other hand, doesn't change her oil ever. She put 15k on a new Subaru (her first and only new car...years before we met) and it was alive still when her mechanic told her to sell it quick! ("You're supposed to change the oil?" was her question). :LOL:
When I was at sea last time (right before I got laid off) she borrowed the Fairmont and put about 6000 miles on it; I told her it was due for an oil change but she forgot. I came back and in the course of getting laid off and dealing with several crises I put another 5000 on (in 9 days!)--14,000 miles on that load of oil; it used 4 quarts in that time! When I finally figured out that the oil wasn't done right before I got home like I asked, I was understandably upset. :/
Not bad for a 350,000 mile engine. It still has 155 lbs all around (+-10). Now if I could only get the poor thing over 17 mpg (higway...it'll brush 19 if I drive 80 to 85 for a long distance...that's the best it's ever done! Take that environazis!).
I record all service, fuel, & etc. in a logbook, including MPG and unusual trips. 8)
Ben

Ok, I've got a question that you old school guys may be able to help me with? When I bought my 89 Topaz, I noticed it had taken some abuse over the years.

I'm wondering what's the best oil for the car and how often to change? For my wife's 01 Pontiac, it gets changed between 3K & 5K miles. I've always used straight Valvoline 5W30.

For my Topaz with 137K, should I consider a high mileage oil or synthetic. I'm not looking for a performance oil, just something to keep the engine running as smoothly as possible for as long as possible. Till I can get it rebuilt.

Go with 5W-30 synthetic, but use 10W-30 synthetic if it leaks too badly. :shock:
Wal-Mart sells Mobil 1 in 5 Qt. jugs for about $18. ;)

Every 3 months or 3000 miles....whichever comes 1st.

I also buy Car Quest brand oil. It is just repackaged Valvoline oil and is .30 cents a quart cheaper than the Valvoline brand....just payin for the label ;)

Later,

Doug

Back