Intercooler!

Kstang

I just read about this new intercooler from my GN friend. He said they are pretty cool and work as advertized. I didn't know if any onf you guys were looking for some sub artice tempature air to go into your turbocharged/supercharged engines.

Here the link

http://www.nizzx.com/intercoolers.asp

ps i don't work for them, lol
:LOL:

so how does it work? i dont know much about intercoolers or whatnot...how much do they sell for?

hmm...maybe ice in alaska...

Otherwise, I don't see how it can drop the temperature of the IC enough to form ice if the ambient air temp is 70* and charge air is 120* inlet, 80* outlet (just pulling numbers from me arse).

Slade

It can't cool the air below ambient ...Unless it is so restrictive that the air absorbs energy as it expands after the intercooler. Which is not ideal by any means. It sounds like BS to me.

What are the small fittings for? Internal cooling- wassat?

My only theory is that they could be injecting compressed nitrogen or CO2 into some internal passages of the thing. Compressed gas, when released, gets COLD. I've seen similar ideas advertised on intake cooling for N/A motors. The add was hilarious to a cynic like me. A google search on "cheetah jets" should turn up something.

In theory, I've seen it work on other things- we used compressed CO2 released through a copper tube in an alcohol bath to cool steel samples below freezing one of my classes when I was in school.

However, for anything other than drag racing, it's pretty useless. And even then, I'd be wary. More bling than schwing, IMO. It amounts to freezing your intercooler to get a cooler charge. Just use dry ice. It's damn cold, and the car lightens up as it sublimates. An intercooler system that lightens your car down the track- now THAT's something to sell to the Fa$t and Furiou$ crowd. :eek:

I'm going to go wash my brain out now. I feel dirty.

--mikey

THOSE GUY'S will buy anything. The shiny'r the better. They more outragous the price,the more they want it :p :unsure: ! Ohhhhhh. Now I fell dirty. Pass the Palmolive :LOL: . OO6./The-X-Or-Six!

Although I can't see inside the IC inlet, I would guess that there is an air conditioning coil in there. All one would have to do is "T" into the high and low pressure lines of the car's a/c unit and the unit would work as advertised. This approach has been used before with mixed success, though to the best of my knowledge not with a FMIC.

Pretty clever, actually. I'll bet it works.

FMIC= Front Mounted InterCooler

I think they are using compressed co2 or nitogen. I know/seen/read that some people will spray the out side of a FMIC with a nitrous kit rather then injecting it into the intake to help make the ambent tempature around the intercooler less.

My guess is they are circulating compressed gas through it.

kevin

thats probably closer than the A/C one...cause i cant see an intercooler being sold and requiring an air conditioner to operate.

Charge is cooled using the latent heat of vaporisation of olearius viperiæ.

What's that last part mean (for the Latin-impaired)?

--mikey

Back