All Small Six My 1101 Swap

This relates to all small sixes

TrickSix

Looking through the archives, I see a wide range of experiences reported. Everything from no issues to talk about to complete befuddlement. I thought I'd add my story to the mix. I put an 1101 carburetor on my original 1966 small log head last year. I hadn't really done any research before I embarked on the endeavor. I remembered "The Book" mentioning them as a possible upgrade, so when I saw one (the 1969 Mustang 250 version) in someone's garage cleanout sale I bought it. It looked maybe not new, but recently rebuilt at least. I've been slowly putting together a big valve/big log head, and the 1101 on that head was Plan A. But in the meantime, I wanted the capability of using it on my stock head. When I got it home and held it up to an old 1100 carb spacer I could see some modifications were needed. The book mentions modifying an old spacer, but didn't go into detail. Around here people mention tapering the bore some to allow the bigger butterfly room to move. But looking at the water pipe through the spacer, it didn't look like there was enough material in the bore wall to allow much taper increase without danger of breaking through. Plus the mounting studs are wider too. If I had seen the Vintage Inlines adapter I might have just bought that. But I like using the old parts and keeping the car mods looking like they were done "back in the day". I wound up taking a later 60s 1100 carb plate that has no water pipe, and solved the stud and bolt spacing problem by turning it upside down, reversing the functions of the mounting bolt holes and the carb stud mounting holes. I wish I could post pictures here. I hogged out the taper with a big deburring reamer for black iron pipe. The 1101 bottom flange is bigger and wider than the 1100, and the top flange on the modded spacer isn't big enough to cover it, potentially exposing the passages cut into the bottom of the 1101 mounting flange. So I made a kind of big washer shaped like the bottom flange to sit on the spacer and make it effectively wider. It isn't pretty, but it works well. The linkage hooked up no problem, didn't even need a tweak to the adjustable link to assure wide open throttle. However, this mod won't work if you need the linkage pin in the side of the spacer, as it's boss gets half hogged off to make a new mounting ear. As reported elsewhere, there was a minor gas leak at the fuel inlet, the threads do seem straight, not tapered. But after some gas resistant sealer was applied, no problem. The PCV hookup is unchanged despite the spacer being on upside down. I rebent an old choke tube a little and it fit. The air cleaner was another challenge. Though the old one will fit on the 1101 air inlet, the choke sits up too high and hits the bottom plate. I wound up getting a rusty old Galaxy air cleaner that had the dent in the bottom to accommodate the 1101 choke and cut it down into a minimalist exposed element version. It all fits and works, but it's only temporary until I put on my newer head. But it was kind of fun to do.

Last edited:
You are going to have to replace the loadamatic distributor with either a DS11, and any distributor with centrifugal advance & vacuum advance.
Check out my listings in the small six for sale section of the forum. wsa111 Bill

You are going to have to replace the loadamatic distributor with either a DS11, and any distributor with centrifugal advance & vacuum advance.
Check out my listings in the small six for sale section of the forum. wsa111 Bill

Well yes, of course. That was done before the carb swap. To give the newer distributor some vacuum that wasn't from the original SCV 1100. I converted the throttle linkage pin boss on the carb spacer to an extra vacuum port. With the 1101 on now I can just use the carb side port.

Well yes, of course. That was done before the carb swap. To give the newer distributor some vacuum that wasn't from the original SCV 1100. I converted the throttle linkage pin boss on the carb spacer to an extra vacuum port. With the 1101 on now I can just use the carb side port.
What distributor did you get???

LOM/SCV match sez Billyam?

Back