interesting turn of events.

well I was out doing some junk yarding today. goal was to grab a coil pack setup off a gm with the HEI style posts instead of the ford EDIS coils I have currently (allows regular wires to be used)while walking around I saw a couple EDIS 2.3L rangers with the front clip and accessories stripped of them and got to thinking. 5mins later I had a 2.3L dummy plug in my had (basicly bottom of a dizzy base with a shaft and gear to run an oil pump) was with a buddy getting a PS pump for a SBC to got the dummy for free with the purchase of the pump..

anways to the good stuff. since hte price was right I figured that I could sleeve/bore and bastardize it to work on a 200 for when I go EDIS on the megasquirt box. My car and all is back up at home but I have a bare block here (crank, timing cover, block, head only) for mockingup stuff on.

there are three main areas of concern for fitting the dizzy in a block

1. oil pump drive size (the hex size)
2. shaft size (need to fit the shaft in the block)
3. body size (gotta get it in the hole in the first place)

as some know I used to play with 2.3L turbo cars. I had some various parts all over when I was putting in my 200 (owned a merkur at the time) well somehow at that time I managed to put a 2.3L oil pump drive in my 200. this is where I found out the drive size is the same (only the 2.3L has about a 1" shorter drive) so I knew #1 was good. then I started thinking about how the 2.3L motor was designed back around 1972 or so (first year was 1974 I think) so always wondered how similar the 2.3L was to a non metric motor...

well the pic below shows it...

DSCF0016.jpg

the 2.3L shaft is the SAME size as the 200's. when inserted from teh bottom of the block (there the oil pump goes) it fits perfectly....no slop/play but spins freely!! so I slid it out and tried the top. I got it about 1/2" in and it got REAL tight....pulled it out adn then used some thinner to clean the overspray/paint out of the block to get a proper fit. once I clean it out it dropped RIGHT IN!!! it has maybe .010" clearance to it but fits darn near perfectly!!!

The goal for next weekend is to get a 2.3L TFI dizzy and a 3.8L one and see if I can transplant the 3.8L reluctor into the 2.3L dizzy and get teh 3.8L cap on it (two piece cap and hoping the base is the same on the two) if this works the only issue I would see being needed is a 200 drive gear (the 2.3L seems to be finer teeth on it) and prob drill a new hole to properly locate the gear on it.

if this actually works it might mean a bolt in TFI dizzy for a 200 using three donor dizzy's. this would mean that a CFI setup could be bolted on a 200 with no real serious mods to it.

:oops: I saw the picture in your other thread, after posting. The "distributor" does sound an interesting find because of its compactness.

ok I went to thte parts store and now I have a cap that will work (85 3.8L cap) it is a small cap (like a DS I) but will fit the 2.3L dissy. gonna maybe run back and see if they have a larger 2-piece cap that I can get instead

tlked to my old 2.3 turbo peeps and have a tfi dizzy in the mail on its way here so next weekend or next week sometime I should have final results on putting it all together but the gear portion. also trying to scrounge up some sort of ECU to run this all on as an EFI setup.

ok I got a hold of a loadamatic dizzy to compare it to a 2.3L for the portions within the block (and to get a drive gear)

the 2.3L gear rides higher up on the shaft than the 200 does so a new hole will need to be drilled for the gear. the 2.3L shaft is a little longer and the section of the shaft that rides on the block (the polished section) is slightly higher on teh 2.3L unit but should provid ample support still. this coming week I should be getting a 2.3L dizzy in the mail and when I get that I will get the gears swapped on it and pick up a reluctor to toss in it. if I can get this all together by next weekend then I should be able to drop it in my fairlane and give a try at firing it up (on just the TFI unit to make sure it will work and all)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/ ... CF0021.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/ ... CF0020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/ ... CF0019.jpg

Looks amazing! =) Good work. I'm constantly impressed at the ingenuity at work here on this forum. I think we should have a get together sometime in the next year. All of us meet in CA, and we can all get In N Out. =) I like your project.

65Stang200":br4m4v7b said:
Looks amazing! =) Good work. I'm constantly impressed at the ingenuity at work here on this forum. I think we should have a get together sometime in the next year. All of us meet in CA, and we can all get In N Out. =) I like your project.

I think California is a tad far for me, Ive been wanting to have some kind of meet but my car wouldnt be able to make it anytime soon. P-dawg keep us updated, these are some good finds!

well I would totally be up for a midwest/south meet like in memphis (or STL if I get this job there) cali is a little far for me. but if it was within 150-200 miles of southern IL I could prob do it.

btw picked up a sweet fuel tank on ebay....5 gal GM tank. poly tank that sits upright (about the size of a "jerry" can. has a pump in it and sending unit and a oem style fill cap o n the top. so I am collecting parts for EFI (prob coming in spring/ summer)

well I have a pair of 2.3L dizzys now. one seems to maybe have some shot bearings though.

does anyone konw if the 200 shares a drive gear with another motor?

turbo_fairlane_200":3qjmlle1 said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/new%20head/DSCF0028.jpg

there you have it....2.3L TFI dissy in a 200 block. I need to go pick up my reluctor wheel for it still and swap the gears on it but there you have it.

dont forget to pick up a transbobulating module too. where are you plannign on mouting the coils btw?

need to get to the JY to pick up a new reluctor wheel and still need to swap the gear (been busy with the holidays, sickness and work starting back up) plus been wet around here for jumping around the JY. might just bite the bullet and stomp in th emud

well tore down one of my dissy'z for a refersh today. gonna polish the housing while it is apart. on eo fthese days I will have a running 200 to put this dizzy back into.

Yeah, I too have the 3.8 CFI dist ready to send you but have been so busy moving. Trying to get done by the end of this weekend.

2007 resolution - get rid of all the unnecessary crrap in my life!

Back