Junkyard Engine

A

Anonymous

Hey Guys,

I'm starting to put my plans on paper for an engine rebuild this summer. The only problem I have is that my car is a daily driver. I'm now thinking about buying an engine from a junkyard/private party and rebuilding it. Then I can just yank the old engine and drop the rebuilt one in. I'm going to go start looking in the junkyards this weekend. I was wondering what I should keep my eyes peeled for. What kind of cars? 200 or 250....which one should I go for? I was thinking my best bet would be to buy a 200 block and throw a 250 head on it. I have some new engine parts that i'd also like to bring over to the new engine. This includes a Weber 38/38 DGES 2bbl carb, Cliffy headers, new oil pump, pickup, drive shaft, DSII dizzy setup and some other misc stuff.

Thanks! :D :D
Mike

PS- Anyone have any 6cyl engines or know where some are located in So Cal? :)

Hey Mike,

there's a 200 out of a 70 mav at the Wilmington Ecology. It has the flat top log head(M code). The engine is ready to pull, I've taken the mounts off. good luck

DB

Thanks Db! Was the engine complete? Any idea on the asking price?

Mike

Complete? Hmmm well the block and with the flat top log head, is present but missing the alt,valve cover,dizzy and fuel pump the last time I visited. It still has the C4 connected to it too, but I doubt you'll need the tranny. I forget but I think for the lot(without the C4) $100 give or take.

Hey while your there check out the Mustang IIs, I think they have T5s.

Later,
DB

There is a 200 shortblock at the Santa Fe Ecology. It looks to have been recently rebuilt, very clean inside. I took the head home and it was definitely rebuilt. All I did was wipe it down and bolt it up. There should be a few 200s there. I think I went in early Feb. and I counted three or four.

There is a 200 shortblock at the Santa Fe Ecology. It looks to have been recently rebuilt, very clean inside. I took the head home and it was definitely rebuilt.

So how much did ecology want for the head you bought? I've been thinking of trying to find one at Ecology in Phx. It's interesting to "hear" you guys talking about the old yards I used to hit couple of times a year 15-25 years ago when I lived there.

DBzOkole":2lb919ry said:
Hey Mike,

there's a 200 out of a 70 mav at the Wilmington Ecology. It has the flat top log head(M code). The engine is ready to pull, I've taken the mounts off. good luck

DB

Dennis,

Your talking about the last Mav at the end of the row? The only one I saw when I was there last weekend the engine and trany were gone. Sorry, last fall they had a half a dozen, hope they get more in. There are lots of mid to late 70s Fairmonts & Zephyrs with 200s & 250s there, and Mustang IIs with T5s and good front suspensions. I saw that C4 up against the fence by the Topaz area. I might go nab it, it's better than the one I have. Good Luck!

Just got the e-mail that they're having a 1/2 off day April 12th

Falc64":14vxz7pn said:
There is a 200 shortblock at the Santa Fe Ecology. It looks to have been recently rebuilt, very clean inside. I took the head home and it was definitely rebuilt.

So how much did ecology want for the head you bought? I've been thinking of trying to find one at Ecology in Phx. It's interesting to "hear" you guys talking about the old yards I used to hit couple of times a year 15-25 years ago when I lived there.
It was either $25 or $30, I don't remember. :oops:

hey

Gillys auto reckors has some, in fact he has a 250 striped down to the block, this was abput a month ago i think he may still have it www.gillys.com

are you sure that www.gillys.com is correct, everytime i go there i get this:
gillys.GIF

Back