Log Head Conversion - Qualifed Shop Needed

chad":353kwqja said:
"...Fact is, the 1-bbl area is a piece ofiron thin on metal, and one that doesn't have the strength to be shaved with four studs then crimping it..."
Yes, the pic U have showed point to some very this metal. JB Weld isn't something I want on my engine if I can find other means.
:eek:
Mickey mouse already lives in my pocket book.

Mike's flow chart shows the hex/lrg/later log to do well for this thread author's needs, no? (How to fit the H/W 32/36?)

Mike does a furnace braising but I guess he's not taking any outside work anymore.
I wondered were Mickey Mouse went I haven't seen him in awhile.

I might have the opportunity to pick up a OZ 250 head, but whey you search OZ 250 / the CI Aluminum head on this forum, I found very few that talked about how easy it was or it was just a bolt on transition. Everyone was discussing issues that they were having such as vehicle not running, overheating, lack of power, poor idle etc.
Granted we typically we hear from people with issues as they are looking for help picking fellow FordSix member brains and trying to learn form past experience. I would love to put on either on if I knew I could get into for $1500, not have to spend another $500 - $1000, troubleshooting it. While i can fix most thing on these old cars, it is sometimes the diagnosis that I have the problems with. As discussed on some of the other threads finding a shop that knows how to work on these engines are getting harder to find as well. Today's new mechanics if the computer doesn't tell them what to replace they don't know what to do.

"...computer doesn't tell them what to replace they don't know what to do..."
U on the other hand would know AND U don't need a 'puter to tell U what to wrk on.
15 is alot'a dough. could buy a new motor for that price...

Did U look @ the list I mentioned, know where it is?

The Oz heads and blocks are a little wider than the US blocks, so many people try to affix a plate of some kind to the block near the deck surface to create a wider platform for the head to seal. It would be far easier to weld something to the aluminum head, since it is much easier to machine and weld than trying to do the same to a cast iron block. Its in a non-critical area, so any competent machine shop can do it when they freshen the head.

Would it be possible to mount an aluminum plate on top of the log using the two original mounting bolts holes like Crosley did? But use high temp putty on top of the original log to fill the gap between it and the plate bottom surface. And then grind it out like Crosley did keeping it within the original contour of the log and not have to machine the top of the head. I was thinking of using the high temp putty from Cotronic. http://www.cotronics.com/WEB%20SHEETS/7 ... l%20NP.pdf

You should probably look at the link to show the entire thread for what he did, he still had to start out by milling the top of the log flat before mounting the plate to the head. He created a pretty wide flat spot to support the plate to bolt to, without that, I think your expecting that putty to work miracles.

Back