All Small Six Looking for RV type of cam for 200

This relates to all small sixes
Time for an update--
Block required a .040 overbore.
Needed all new valves. The Machine shop noticed immediately that the old valves had "Martini-ed" I was not familiar with the term, but alter years of pounding on the seats, the old valves had all begun to cup--looks like a Martini glass.
Needed about half the valve guides
I have it back now and will measure the deck height as well ass CC the combustion chambers so i can calculate how much to cut to get the compression ratio i want. I plan to run on regular fuel. Is the rule-of-thumb that CR with cast iron heads should be 1/10 of the octane rating of the fuel? What CR are you guys using in a mostly stock rebuild?
Cam and lifters were sent to Oregon Cam for grinding--I will get a slight "RV" grind--mostly to make sure the taper across the face of the cam is correct. Lifters will also be reconditioned and reground to the spherical radius on the bottom.
Picked up a surprising amount of surface rust once i got it back to my shop. It was during that recent COLD snap and garage temps hovered right around freezing. My guess is that the cold cast iron pulled whatever moisture was in the air and that clean CI produced rust. I think a little scotch brite and WD-40 will clean it up. No rust in the cylinders--just on the main bearing journals ( under the bearings)
Waiting on replacement main bearings--Engine parts supplier sent the later style mains with 2 tangs. Should be in next week.
I will try to add a few pictures later.

“...the cold cast iron pulled whatever moisture was in the air ..."
we heat w/wood. Gotta drain the 60 gal, 3 HP compressor so much more
in the winter as by the time we relight the fire in AMs its dipped below frz.
AND gotta say, w/climate change the winters are now way less humid them
summers.

Back