Modded 200 with C4 tranny: How to get the most?

TucsonHooligan

I own a '64 Falcon 2 door sedan with a 170 mated to a C4 from '70 Mustang I believe. The engine runs like a champ, starts right up, idles strong and gets me where I need to be. Its a dog though, no acceleration and top speed on the freeway is around 70 mph and the revs are high (not sure exactly how high, but you can hear it whining)

Solution: Rebuild and swap a '66 200 I recently picked up for a bill to provide a little more oomph. Got a HW 5200 with the clifford adapter, single out headers, Duraspark II, mild cam, etc., to give me the aforementioned oomph, but not sure about the transmission. I would like to keep the C4, as I like the automatic aspect, but am afraid it will top out too soon and not take full advantage of the rebuilt 200. Am I right? Is there something that can be done with the torque converter to "tighten up" the works and make it more like a clutch for power transfer, or am I stuck with the stock one?

I have the stock rear end, the 2.77 I believe it is, and would like to keep it, as I am concerned more with a top cruising speed rather than acceleration off the line. Is this the way to go?

I have the original 13 inch, 4 bolt rims, which I would also like to keep because I like the look. Not sure on the tire size, suppose I could go out to the parking lot and check, but they're small to say the least. Would an increase in size with that rear/tranny/motor combo be prudent, or would that load up the system too much and bog it down? What size would be recommended to get the best top speed?

A lot to answer I know, but I want to do this once and do it right, so this car can be a driver for the next 40 years :shock: and can be dependable for road trips. I'm willing to drop the money to make it happen, so straighten me out and tell me what I need to do.

Jim

You have a good setup. I think you'll be happy with the end results.

With my 200 and C4 with 2.79 gears I run about 2600rpms @ 70mph. This is with a 195/75-14 tire. I avg. 20mpg's with all around driving, mostly city. If I put it on the hiway it'll jump to around 24-25 mpg's. The motor's stock with a 2bbl carb and a Mallory HiFire cd box with a Mallory Ecoil. As far as exhaust I have a 6 into 1 header going into a 2" pipe thru a Dynomax muffler. One thing I'd strongly recommend is a is a TransGo shift kit. It'll improve your tranny life and give you a real nice firm shift that you'll really enjoy. As far as your torque converter about the only thing you can change is the stall but for a mild cam I wouldn't do it. The only way to get a lock up converter would be to got with a C5 tranny.

:oops: double post :D

One other thing, I'd stay with the stock size tire for a while and see how you like it before changing to a larger size.
If you go larger on tire size you may do more damage than good as far as mpg's go. If you really want top speed and have the dollars to spend you may need to look into a T5 or an aftermarket overdrive unit.

Is that shift kit the one that turns it into a stick shift, or the one that keeps it auto and changes the shift points and firmness?

Vann":1ad83p1f said:
One thing I'd strongly recommend is a is a TransGo shift kit. It'll improve your tranny life and give you a real nice firm shift that you'll really enjoy. .

they are soooooo easy to install. i was a little nervous, but just replace 4 springs, enlarge a hole with the drill bit they provide, and readjust your bands. actuallly readjusting the bands was the hard part (PITA to get to the rear band adjuster with long tubes) :x

A shift kit is typically the one that keeps it auto and changes the shift points and firmness.

I have a mostly stock setup with a 3.0 rear and the only place I feel the lack of power is when you are already going 50 and want to go faster. My other 2 cars will both down shift and put you back in the seat till you get above 80. The mustang is more like a typical car where all it does is seems to is make noise and start creeping up the speed.

Transgo calls it a shift improver kit. Is main purpose is to improve the life and correct problems that most trannys have when they come from the factory. One of the ways it does this is by changing overall line pressure which causes a faster, crisper shift. It'll give your car a sporty feel but won't jar your head around like most other kits will. Also they only cost about 20 bucks and come with really good directions. I've installed B&M and TCI shift kits in other cars and to be honest I really wasn't as happy with the end results.

They have these shift kits on ebay for around 22 bucks with shipping. Says it also cures the "no reverse when hot" problem which was actually my next question. Hell, that alone is worth the price. How do I identify exactly what year this tranny is? I got the car with no history and with the C4 already in it. The only reason I say its a 70 is because I had to get a later torque converter since the first one they ordered had less (more?) splines in the hole and wouldn't fit. Also the oil filter I got first was the wrong style and the one for a 70 Mustang ended up fitting. Problem is, these shift kits are specific to 65-66, 67-69, 70-72, and 73 and up, so I need to know what mine is. How do I do this?

It should have a tag on one of the servo covers, that is as long as some one hasn't pulled it off. Just look it over real good for a tag, it'll be about an 1" long by 1/2" wide. I think it's on the pass side. Is this a case fill or pan fill tranny?

TucsonHooligan":17avtc3d said:
Case fill. Also, no I.D. tag on it. Anywhere else I could find a serial number that would help tell me the year?

i know there was one on my valve body, but other than that i would just look all over. theres probably one on the case.

Cool, I'll have to wait till I get home so I can jack it up and crawl underneath and see if I can find anything. Back to the original topic, anyone have any additions to the suggestions given?

I have been told that back in the day if you wanted a hi po transmission but could not afford to do it right you either unhooked the vacuum modulator or restrict the vacuum flow to it. For restriction valves from a aquarium store do a nice job. If your modulator is adjustable you may be able to get it more to your liking that way without having to spend the money right now.

I have a 80 fairmont with a 200 ,4 speed and a 3.08 rear gear. i also have big tires on it. before you do anything see if you can borry some larger tires and swap them out. I have a h/w 5200 carb, the smog pump off and in city driving have gotten 20.4 for the best haven't put it on a trip yet. I think one of my best improvements was to advance my timing .good luck

Back