MPFI Intake ideas

A

Anonymous

Looking again at the MPFI intkae, and had a thought.

How much modification is required to mate an Oz X-flow EFI intake to an Oz 250-2V head? Looking for an easy/cheap way to assemble a MPFI intake.

Are the intake runners spaced the same, or is it just not something that can be made to work without a ton of modification?

At the very least, is it feasible to use the plenum and attach a set of homebrewed runners to it? If so, does the plenum design flow well? Looking for easy ways to get good flow geometry without buying airhorns to fab into the system.

I have the tools to make one from scratch, but the more that I can get pre-assembled, the less I have to expend effort to re-invent the wheel.

I know of the how-to stuff on the SDS site. That's my fallback if this idea won't work.

Thoughts? Other possible solutions welcome as well.

--mike

Mikey, I had an X-flow EFI intake and looked at how hard it would be to adapt it to my Argentine head. The spacing is even on the crossflow so you would deffinitely have to chop up the X-flow manifold where the injectors mount, you would need a custom fuel rail, and you would have to make new runners. The main dissadvantage is access to the valve cover. You'd have to removed the upper intake to remove it.

Why not just use the Oz 250-2V intake? Fitting it with injectors, a fuel rail, and a throttle body would work well, be fairly straightforward, and you'd have easy access to the valve cover.

I'm looking for the most even airflow I can manage. My understanding has been that the Oz intake, while doing a better job at air distribution than a loghead, was still not flowing enough at #1 and #6.

If my assumption is incorrect for a MPFI application, then I'm all for using the Oz manifold.

How is it for plenum volume? I could make an airbox on top of it to increase volume if needed.

I had considered valve cover access, but was willing to make the sacrifice if the air flow was substanitally better.

--mikey

The SDS website had a build it yourself intake design. Rather than hacking a crossflow, just build one from scratch. you're probably talking about the same amount of welding

I would just buy some of those injector inserts and fuel rail stock, have the head milled to put the inserts in (could prob do an OK job with a drill and diegrinder) and I would just epoxy in the inserts to the log head or 2v intake. run a gutted ford tbi setup (gives tps and easy to rig up filter/turbo bonnet) run an aussie eec4 dizzy with a bushing installed on it for the 200 block (or bore out the 200 block for a roller bearing to be installed) use a 3.8L ecu and call it good. that would prob be the most low buck setup there is. I am not sure when the mass air 3.8 started being used but that would prob be the best setup but I think it might be a DIS setup.

nick

Back