Need help calibrating my dipstick?

Shakey Bender

Thats a loaded question I know. But in all earnest my newly rebuilt 200 had a oil pan that was not the same as the old motor. I found that by knocking out the litttle plug the dipstick and tube could be moved forward to hit the deep part of my old pan. My problem occurred when I went to remove the old tube and it sheared.
So with the pan off and the engine on the stand I have this question. Where should the oil come up to? The pickup is stained/marked at about halfway up and looks like a good indication. Yes I know another method would be to fill engine with proper amount of oil and remark the stick but would like to do it dry as the engine is still out of the car and don't wan't to hillbilly it to much.
Thank you for looking at my dipstick question. Clint

Shakey Bender":3h9pg2er said:
... The pickup is stained/marked at about halfway up and looks like a good indication...

That would be a good starting point. Measure how far below the block the stained/marked spot extends. Then put 4 quarts of water in the pan (you could use oil but water is cheaper). Measure how deep the water stands relative to the stained/marked spot. I am assuming a 5 quart fill with one in the filter.
Joe

Hi Shakey

If your pan and dipstick/tube setup is now the normal "car" stuff (deep sump in front) the height of the top of the tube is 3" from where it seats in the block. That will position the Full mark in the right place.I can measure the stick to compare with the one you have if needed-just let me know.

Terry

Back