All Small Six Need Help! Carb adjust?

This relates to all small sixes

1966fordcustom

Hey all, I have a 66 ford custom straight 6 i’ve posted in here before! But i need help woth my god for saken 81 camaro 350 sbc! Have a street fire msd distr, and the car has been de smogged! Edelbrock 650 carb! I guaged it and the needled hopping around like a rabbit! And says my timing is way off! Any tips help? I value your opinions! Where do i start!?!?!

Attachments

• IMG_9568.mov
    48.3 MB
  • IMG_9566.jpeg
    IMG_9566.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Start out using your Timing Light and setting the Base Timing to 12 Degrees BTDC this is usually fairly close for most 350 Chevy applications. Next check the Total Degrees of Timing to see that you don't have too much advance, this should be around 36-37 degrees if its not than Distributor's Advance Curve will need to be changed. Good luck

If timing is erratic and off you could have a bad timing chain.
Also, MSD will give you more than one flash, as it is multi spark.
Makes finding the idle timing a bit harder.

Thanks all! I cant find the timing mark on the balancer. Searched and searched no line or indent
Have had that issue before. Put the timing light on it anyway, often it will reveal the dirty/rusty/ obscure marks. Darkness helps. Make a mental note of what that area of the damper looks like, then shut off and wire brush that area. Found the single tiny groove mark on a 63 year old car this way recently. (Be sure you're on #1 cylinder. ☺️ )
If there's still nothing visible on the damper, make a mark with a paint pencil where the light was flashing on the damper. This will give you a baseline reference when the timing is changed.

Watching the Video it sure sounds like you timing is way off and the engine is really laboring because of it. X2 Sometimes to find the Timing Marks I just have to Jack Up the front of the car for better Access and so I can get closer to see the bottom of the Crankshaft Damper and clean it. Its going to be there somewhere under some crud. Good luck

Back