Need ideas

I have a 61 Falcon with the 170 in it Am kind of new here looking for some rebuild ideas and tips and came across this site found Classic Inlines and like what I see no intention to build a race car but want to pep the 170 up a little any ideas or direction on where to look?

Go over to the Classics Inline side and look for the Falcon Performance Handbook. It will be the best double sawbuck you ever spent. All kinds of info and ideas. Once you read it, you get all the clarification you need over here.

Thanks I will check out the book I guess the main thing will be whether I keep the 170 or bolt in the 200 i do not have much experience with either I was always a small block fan

The hand book will tell you that you can get more out of your 170 with a 200 head and more out of your 200 with a 250 head. You just have to get the right parts and a workable plan. The handbook also helps you get this going. And you have nothing but resource people here to point you in the right direction.

very cool I just want something that I can turn the key and go, dependable and able to cruise freeway speeds without much effort kind of like the idea of keeping the 170 as it is the original motor but as the pic shows I am not all original anyway

If you wanna stay inline, I hear the 200 is the best way to go as opposed to the 250.

Except for the additional 50 cubes and the ability to use V8 transmissions, the 250 has very little advantage over the 200.
Pretty much anything that fits a 250 can fit a 200: heads, intakes, exhausts, pistons (except 255), and cams.
Parts that you can get for the 200 that you can't get for the 250 is a double roller timing chain and deep sump oil pan.
Of course, I'm talking about the US engines.
jb1rd viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60895

RyanCorpse":2q09bo3a said:
If you wanna stay inline, I hear the 200 is the best way to go as opposed to the 250.

Except for the additional 50 cubes and the ability to use V8 transmissions, the 250 has very little advantage over the 200.
Pretty much anything that fits a 250 can fit a 200: heads, intakes, exhausts, pistons (except 255), and cams.
Parts that you can get for the 200 that you can't get for the 250 is a double roller timing chain and deep sump oil pan.
Of course, I'm talking about the US engines.
jb1rd viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60895

8) that depends on what you are looking for. the 250 puts out more torque than the 200 does, but the 200 will rev quicker and higher than the 250 will. the 200 is also easier to fit under the stock hood in most cars, though using the maverick 250 mounts can help.

The 250 is a stroker so you have torque. There are a number of mods you have to do for the added weight. The 200 has more parts availability. It's immanently doable if you want to go for it; several guys here have done so. Do a 'search' and look around.

Back