new engine? advice appreciated

A

Anonymous

Hi there, I'm new to these forums and to engine work for that matter. I've had a 66 I6 200 for about 7 years, it was my first car. I'm just beginning to restore it after having it sit for 3 years (I got married and started a family, you know the drill :eek: ). I now have some time to work on it. I've done body and paint work and everything is still in great shape in that dept. but working the engine is something new.

I'd like to learn as much as I can about my specific engine before I enlist the help of some friends. My friend is very knowledgable about chevy blocks and has rebuilt quite a few engines and is excited to help. From what I've read here, obviously not all engines are considered equal. One resource that's been mentioned in this forum is The Ford Falcon SIX Cylinder Performance Handbook.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As far as my engine, the reason it is on blocks in the first place is years ago the oil completely leaked out from the plug and the engine threw a rod. We're pulling the engine out next weekend, having towed it this weekend, to take a good look at it. If it's able to be rebuilt, I'd like for it to be a daily driver with emphasis on efficiency (I drive 35 miles to work every day).

I appreciate any help and advice. Even if it's just pointing me in the right direction. I'm a quick learner will do the research and work needed. I'm excited to get started and to be a part of this forum.

Thanks

Back