New exhaust on my sons 62.....he aint happy....

The Smithy's in my experience are less raspy than the "turbo" mufflers and not quite as raw as glasspacks'. I run Smithys on a dual out header setup on a Tri-Power 250 but on the daily driver '63 there's two dual stock mufflers on dual out headers for a mellower cruise ( still 1/2 the exhaust restriction with two...) .

Have Fum

Smithy /Patriot Vendor:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?key ... thys&dds=1

Dual Smithys'
100_5143.jpg

100_5141.jpg

'watch them speedbumps :roll:

Smthy's in my experience are less raspy than the "turbo" mufflers and not quite as raw as glasspacks'.

OK, this is a lill more helpful, so:
"steel packs" not as "raw as glass", "less raspy" than turbo.

How do "chambered" compare to these 2?
(I know/assume each co.'s model of these designs has variation from other similar models but they are comparable? are they not?).

Any other designs? What's the quality of sound w/these?

Any suggestions on use of a resonator alone? Not a good idea?

What ever I use I will "tuck up high" & possibly place a heat shield above for it's safety/comfort benefit. I'm thinkin the tail/last pipe will B very short, out to the side (in frnt of rear wheel) and possibly turned out horizontal (meaning the end 'cut' will be 90* up from straight down toward ground).

Thanks to ALL. :nod:

There is a new design by Cherrybomb the VORTEX looks interesting

Cherrybomb
"glass pack" Bubba?

Combo: glass/chambered
5 different types of muffs from quiet to load these are in the middle

OH, 4 this company only!
Hummm, this is takin awhile. Anyplace to get the full poop? I can't get a full thesis completed (design/material, volumn, nature of note or tone) here.

This looks like a combo of a chambered and a glass pack. They make 5 different types of muffs from quiet to load these are in the middle, they still make their org. glass packs too.

they have both glass packs and chambered it seems.
wonder what the results would B in sound differences (prices, durability, unusual mounting etc)..

:) Hi Chad.If the current Thrush(R) products are as good as those in the past,they will probably outlast the exhaust system or the vehicle.OR both.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

woodbutcher":315unm8d said:
:) Hi Chad.If the current Thrush(R) products are as good as those in the past,they will probably outlast the exhaust system or the vehicle.OR both.

''llo again Leo,
Still just tryin to build a list, knowledge base or compendium - whatever, about these different designs and effects on exhaust note. Not lookin to buy.
Well, 2 corrections: 1) don't really wanna know bout those 1s the kids run currently (VW, rice burners, etc - U may know what I mean)
2) I will buy @ some point but VERY far in the future (3 mo missed mortgage comes 1st). I'm kinda following up on the poster of this thread's request.

'Nother input is, as I mentioned above, if the pipe is out the side, and if the end of the pipe is not straight or angeled down toward the pavement that also effects (@ least for the driver/riders - if no 1 else). Straight out the back gives a longer pipe and puts it further away from them (quiter then close, but deeper sound due to extra length). What's the chambered do to the sound quality?

kevinl1058":3cfn0jgi said:
running super 44 flowmasters. sound is very agressive. 2.25" Dual pipe.

Hi Kevin!
Thanks for the input!
Seems like U have an almost stock type system but for a dual outlet on the muffler (1 pipe-full distance, pipe length, no X pipe, H, resonator, etc) with 1 model 44 series? Can U say more about what aggressive means to U?
As above: What's the chambered do to the sound quality?
I know it's a kinda arbitrary, subjective "assignment" to a sound but that's Y I ask for more descriptors...
thanks

looks like that might B an album and/or sound clip. On dial up, sorry - can't help this process, I wuz hopin for english language descriptors. may B some one who listens with non 'puter style speakers could tell me?
Thanks falcon fanatic!
(BTW: great thing 2 B enthused [fanatic] about)

So, I don't know, best I can say is 'chambered' sound like a 80,000# truck?

Its a video clip. Yes, my experience with chambered is that they are loud and boomy. The porters are raspy and raw sounding. Dynomax Super turbo is zoomy sounding, like a sportscar. Borla is expensive and droney.

porters
thanks FF. Is that the same nomenclature as "turbo"?
If so I think this covers all designs (except my idea of using a resonator only).

Porter muffler is a brand name. They make a tube-type muffler similar to a glasspack, but which has a distinctive tone. The dynomax Super turbo is the best flowing of the turbo mufflers and is quite affordable, too. For an aggressive tone, a single porter would be very similar to your idea of using a resonator only. They come in different lengths, so a 24" one would probably be reasonably quiet and should fit in the stock location right behind the front seats. 2" all the way would be more than adequate, power-wise, though you could step the muffler itself up to 2-1/4" if you where hell bent on maximising power. I haven't seen flow bench numbers on the Porters.

I know you are using a dial up, but if you can get yourself to a broadband connection the video clips on this site sound pretty cool: http://www.portermufflers.com/porter-videos.html

They have a facebook page, of course. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Porter-M ... 4459004994

I'm thinking of getting dual porter mufflers at the rear of my system. It would go header to 2.5" pipe to Flowmaster single in/dual out to dual 2" pipe with the porters at the end. Kooky, I know, but the math says it will make power and I think it will sound super cool.

I just discovered these guys. Looks like they are an OEM replacement manufacturer that has decied to clone all the performance products out there. Very good pricing on amazon.com.

http://www.lawsonindustries.com/index.html

They have a few videos, but their video producer is a douchebag who thinks it makes sense to play fake heavy metal music over the audio clips of the mufflers. go figure :roll:

Porter muffler is a brand name
Thanks B 2 U again FF!

Yeah, I wuz tryin 2 go w/design rather than manufacturer. Easier to lay out what's the difference in tone between the designs may B (yes,again, I know each co. w/in a design 'style' has different tonalities, but i may B correct in thinkin each style has more similarities among those of sim. design). Would folks agree w/this last statement? If not I've been doin this exercise in futility...
:banghead:

Hummm, seems then I'd hafta listen 2 them all. And / or get broadband and go to all the sites as mentioned.
Search continues, almost done...
Whaddaya think classicgen? Helpful, or not?

Back