New header coating

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
I posted this under another topic, but don't know if many saw it. I'm just curious what you all think of the Ford Blue ceramic coating. Do you like it? I just added it to the available finishes on our headers, and am trying to determine if its going to be a popular choice (how many to stock).

We also just started using a black high temp powder coat as our standard finish, rather than spray paint. It cost a bit more, but it offers increased durability over spray and looks great.

Ford Blue Ceramic
header-blu-MD.jpg

Black Powder Coat
header-blk-MD.jpg

Sterling 2000 Ceramic
header-2000-MD.jpg

I think it's a nice color but I worry it will be "too much blue". If you have a blue motor, blue head, blue timing cover, blue thermostat and now a blue header it might look like you just spray bombed the whole thing. If you go with a different color of block (say early 60's black/red combo) then it's just plain 'no' as it wouldn't mix at all, and if you go new tech with your head and valve cover I think everybody is going to want the sterling for the 'bling' factor. That all said, I might just be a little 'old school', do you offer them in white? Have you by chance ever asked if you could use header wrap on a ceramic coated header? I want the reliability and durability of ceramic with the 'hot rod' look of wrapped headers.

Any chance the header prices will come down a little since you are doing more volume through the coater? (can't blame a fella for asking :LOL: )

Just my .02, YMMV
-ron

No white, but I can get a light gray. However, why offer gray when Sterling cost less (colors cost $20 more).

Never use header wrap, it voids the warrantee (from Jet-Hot as well as most header manufacturers) because it holds moisture and promotes rust. Header wraps are not only "old school", their bad news.

Jet-Hot normally charges $175 for Sterling, and $200 for color. Hence I'm already giving my customers a discounted price, due to volume.

How durable is the black powder coat? Will it eventually burn off and look like chit? Our budget is a little tight and if we could be assured of a still nice looking header down the road, we will prolly go with the powder coat. Otherwise, we're gonna bite the bullet and get the sterling.

Thanks,

CrashBob, wannabe mechanic

One vote for the black powder coat. I agree, too much blue.

84 SB XL, 232,000, 3.55 diff, T18 One owner (need AM radio)

I hope there's some means of placing a good size pressed-metal emblem on the most visible tube, saying "Classic Inlines USA". ;)

AzCoupe":9dedgckl said:
No white,Never use header wrap, it voids the warrantee
Those are 2 major bummers right there..The 3rd major bummer in this thread is that if I decide I absolutely want a wrapped header I will have to buy it from a different vendor. And no it's not a cost saving measure, by the time you buy the header, then the wrap plus tie material it's going to cost about the same as a coated header (I compared cost already). My personal opinion is that engine compartments are getting too sterilized, hide all the wiring and polish everything, it's just not my style, I like visual mechanical items.

-ron

I too missed the other posting for the header colors. How much does the Blue or Sterling cost? The blue would look great with my Black block & head & Ford Blue rocker cover........
Also, I have a Clifford header for my '61 that I bought (many) years ago & never installed. It's been in a heated shop all of its life, so it has absolutely no rust, anywhere. Could I send this to you, Mike, & have it coated? I did test fit it on the car, but never fired it.
Another question:Does anyone offer copper header mounting gaskets? Or is there something just as good, that's available? I want to install this thing once & be done with it.....
Thanks Mike,
Darryl

CoupeBoy":3iq4nfvn said:
AzCoupe":3iq4nfvn said:
No white,Never use header wrap, it voids the warrantee
Those are 2 major bummers right there..The 3rd major bummer in this thread is that if I decide I absolutely want a wrapped header I will have to buy it from a different vendor. And no it's not a cost saving measure, by the time you buy the header, then the wrap plus tie material it's going to cost about the same as a coated header (I compared cost already). My personal opinion is that engine compartments are getting too sterilized, hide all the wiring and polish everything, it's just not my style, I like visual mechanical items.

-ron

Well, header wrap voids the warranty on every set of headers, not just these.

Why would anyone even want to use header wrap anymore. Jet coating or ceramic coatings will keep the temp of the header under control.

I wouldnt run the blue on my own engine with the block/valve cover allready blue but if the engine was black with the aluminum head and a blue valve cover...... :eek:

Header wrap is like sooooo 80's dude! ;) :LOL: :D :D

Later,

Doug

CoupeBoy":2bksa3cr said:
if I decide I absolutely want a wrapped header I will have to buy it from a different vendor. And no it's not a cost saving measure, by the time you buy the header, then the wrap plus tie material it's going to cost about the same as a coated header

If your dead set on header wrap, I can sell you an unpainted header. It just won't have a warranty. You don't need to worry about media blasting it first as you won't see the finish, nor do you need to be concerned about rust, so you can paint it with a cheap BBQ spray paint.

Advantages of Ceramic Coatings:
Temperature - decreases header surface temperatures up to 50%, reducing under-hood temps.
Appearance - will not discolor and maintains its apperance for years (Sterling can be polished).
Performance - increases power 3% or more by improving exhaust flow and reducing air intake temp.
Durability - resist rust, pitting, scuffing & scratches, and chemical reactions with its superior finish.
Longevity - increases header life by up to 20 times over painted finishes. Do not use header wraps.
Comfort - reducing the header surface temperatures keeps floor boards cooler on the feet.
Maintenance - makes maintenance easier and safer by reducing header temps and chance of burns.
Savings - off-sets initial cost by extending the replacement of heat sensitive parts, such as starters.

'61 Draggin Wagon":2bksa3cr said:
How much does the Blue or Sterling cost? Could I send this to you, Mike, & have it coated?
I can get Blue Ceramic for $120, and Sterling for $100, due to the volume of coating I have done by Jet-Hot. Yes, you can ship parts to me and have them coated. Headers, exhaust manifolds, intakes, valve covers, pistons, valves, valve springs, bearings, oil pans, pulley's, gears, etc. Jet Hot and HPC are both owned by the same company now, so I can get appearance, thermal, anti-scuff, and oil shed as well as ceramic coatings. You'll be seeing more on my website in the near future. Example, if you purchase cast pistons from us, you'll have the option of having a thermal coating (top) and anti-scuff (skirts) applied before they ship.

pistons.jpg

Mike, save your money & your customers money, go Sterling 2000 Ceramic .

Why would want header wrap, would you give your wife or girlfriend a jock strap!!!

Looks beautiful & jet hot does a supurb coating job, looks great, retains heat & will perform the best. Done deal. Just my opinion, Bill

So much talk about getting rid of the old and in with the new/fancier. Perhaps a fordsix (ended in the 80's) design isn't so good afterall. Maybe a mod motor is what I need, afterall, they are newer and shinier...

Seriously though, it's a different strokes for different folks kind of world, and something about header wrap just 'does it for me' I know all of the pitfalls and negatives, you are preaching to the choir. Somedays I like the sound of open headers other days I'm digging th silent 'whoosh' that comes out of full exhaust on a turbo motor.

I'm pretty sure that in the end I'll end up going with a ceramic coated header, and then immediately voiding the warranty. For 2 reasons. 1. If I am going to buy parts for a fordsix there really is only one vendor (classicinlines) 2. I'm hoping that with ceramic coating the headers shed enough heat to last longer then a year or 2.

-ron

AzCoupe":3gfvofrp said:
I can get Blue Ceramic for $120, and Sterling for $100, due to the volume of coating I have done by Jet-Hot. Yes, you can ship parts to me and have them coated.

Jet-Hot also has the "JET-HOT 2000 Black" coating and that's a serious coating for headers which may be exposed to really high temperatures. From their web site:

JET-HOT 2000™ - Formulated for very high temperatures, this rugged coating protects substrates up to 2,450°F, heat levels sometimes encountered in Rodding and Off-Road applications. Available in black, blue or grey.

Here's what the black version looks like:

jh2000blkbig.jpg

I think that either the flat black or grey would be terrific for a car that is intended to evoke the look of an old-school race car, and I suspect that the Jet-Hot 2000 coating could be a good choice for a header being used on a turbocharged engine set up.

CoupeBoy":3nxb11ct said:
I'm pretty sure that in the end I'll end up going with a ceramic coated header, and then immediately voiding the warranty. For 2 reasons. 1. If I am going to buy parts for a fordsix there really is only one vendor (classicinlines) 2. I'm hoping that with ceramic coating the headers shed enough heat to last longer then a year or 2.

I suspect that the best choice for a coating if you plan to use header wrap might be something like the Jet-Hot 2000. From what Jet-Hot says it's probably their most durable coating and it'd likely stand up to the abuse of being wrapped better than their other coatings.

I mean, yeah, you'd still void the warranty, but like you say at least the header might last.

:)

CoupeBoy":f0oseses said:
So much talk about getting rid of the old and in with the new/fancier. Perhaps a fordsix (ended in the 80's) design isn't so good afterall. Maybe a mod motor is what I need, afterall, they are newer and shinier...

Seriously though, it's a different strokes for different folks kind of world, and something about header wrap just 'does it for me' I know all of the pitfalls and negatives, you are preaching to the choir. Somedays I like the sound of open headers other days I'm digging th silent 'whoosh' that comes out of full exhaust on a turbo motor.

-ron

we could all just drop in a 5.0 roller motor and be done with it...

most of us here keep the six because we like being a little different ;)

wsa111, jock strap on your wife? what the???? :shock: :LOL:

I also wanted to wrap the headers I like the old school look. I didn't wrap them because of warranty. I believe if you wrap them, it would take a long time for them to rust through. Mike I like the blue look, but wouldn't do it (to much blue), However I do like white, again the old school look. This is what I went for and very happy.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc27 ... CN1805.jpg

Back