New here/ 226

A

Anonymous

Hey guys and gals(?),

Just stumbled acorss this forum. What a relief! Im needing some serious help with my new project, a 1949 F-1 Pickup. This thing has a 226 flathead six in it that I have no idea when it ran last. Its not stuck. Attached a ratchet to the crank pulley and the thing is turning freely. I pulled off the head and its actually not as nasty as I thought. I do want to completely reabuild thing from the ground up. Ive called numerous engine shops and people are either saying they have no experience with these old motors or they cant get parts for it? I found a website that sells rebuild kits for this motor, kanter.com, anyone ever used these guys? Also, what are some options I have for my flatty six? I was thinking stock but after reading a few post it sounds like there are other options as well. What parts do I need to do a full rebuild for this thing? So far I know Ill need...

Overhaul gasket set
Piston (3 or 4 ring piston) (6)
Ring set (3 or 4 ring piston)(6)
Piston pin bushing
Main bearing set
Rod bearing (6)
Cam bearing set
Cam gear
Crank gear
Cam shaft
BMD Valve lifter
Intake (6) or exhaust (6) valve
Valve guide (12)
Valve spring (12)
Fuel pump
Water pump

Anything Im missing? I havent taken the engine to the machine shop yet, guess that would be first on my list to see if there are any cracks and a professional opinion on the engines condition. I look forward to getting some of my questions answered and maybe being able to answer a few myself in the future.

Thanks!
-Joe

Hello, Joe. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I have a '48 226 in an F-3 that I'd like to beef up, but the availability of aftermarket parts is truely scarce. Kanter is the only place I've found so far that offers the full rebuild kit. Mac's Auto has some parts, but not the complete package. Jake

You guys might also want to check out the HAMB if this doesn't get a lot of hits. There are some guys on there building flat sixes coudl help out.

As for Kanter, from what I hear, they just buy old stock create rebuild kits. If this is true, you could probably find the parts for less money. NAPA is always a good start. I find stuff for my 223 for a lot less money than Kanter, Mac's, etc.

egge is where i just ordered a cam gear and a complete gasket set from. I hear nothing but good things about them.

Back