Paxton Supercharger.

Well the Money Pit is alive & well with the Paxton purring along .
Have not got much drive time in yet as she has not been going but a couple of hours ,but I like it so far View attachment 17495
After driveing The Money Pit some last night looking for those don't exist brass fitting to hook up a boost gauge this is my thoughts .
When I put the 2300 Sniper on way back it was like a in your face difference in the power from that little 200. With the Paxton & the Sniper it's like driveing a v8 powered car now . For me it's a vast improvement in how the car runs .

The one thing that has really stood out is the fact that now the Sniper seems to be kicking the timeing up where it did'nt do it as much without the Paxton.

After driveing The Money Pit some last night looking for those don't exist brass fitting to hook up a boost gauge this is my thoughts .
When I put the 2300 Sniper on way back it was like a in your face difference in the power from that little 200. With the Paxton & the Sniper it's like driveing a v8 powered car now . For me it's a vast improvement in how the car runs .

The one thing that has really stood out is the fact that now the Sniper seems to be kicking the timeing up where it did'nt do it as much without the Paxton.
Are you seeing a timing advance on a screen printout, or just hearing pinging from the engine? If it's in boost the same timing as NA will be too advanced.

With the Paxton another thing I noticed is how the transmission shifts . It seems to hold the gears a little longer & when it shifts it shifts. The longer I'm in the gas the longer it seems to hold each gear ,before the Paxton it just kind of shifted out . It also dose'nt seem like the eng is turned up as much when I'm cruiseing along now . It's hard to explain because I did'nt write any speeds or rpms down before but now it just seems different . Kind of like she don't have to work as hard to be at a cruiseing speed as before .
Who knows maybe it's just me & the new toy .

You guys can't see it but I'm all grins just thinking about it. I think the Paxtons should have been offered on every 6 sold by Ford .

Might be time for a TransGo Shift Improver Kit if you don't already have one installed in the C4.

Are you seeing a timing advance on a screen printout, or just hearing pinging from the engine? If it's in boost the same timing as NA will be too advanced.
The timeing is displayed on the Sniper handheld along with a lot of other info. The Sniper controls the timing in relationship to the boost pressure it senses ( I think ).
The Sniper is supposed to be able to handle up to 14PSI of boost which I don't thing the Paxton can put out but about half that ,maybe.

Any way I have not noticed or heard any pinging or popping what time I've been off in the car . But I have noticed the afr setting seem to run a little richer than what the Sniper is set for. But I would rather that than leaning out . Keep in mind this is all from info on the hand held screen .

Might be time for a TransGo Shift Improver Kit if you don't already have one installed in the C4.
I doubt any body did anything like that to the car before I got her . But I might try it because I think the seal on the selector shaft needs replaced as I have a fluid leak when it sits in the shop .
I kind of wondered if what's happening with the shifting is due to the brass fitting I had to use when I had to rework one line to the radiator to clear that big drive pulley . The brass fitting have a fairley small passageway thru them .

Yes that would be a good time to fix the Selector seal too. There are 2 TransGo Shift Improver Kits available for the 1967 to 1969 C4 Select Shift Valve Body's and a third that turns it into a Manual Valve Body. I usually also install a small Transmission Cooler too especially in the Hotter Areas like the South West. I have been using them for decades now and even grew up 3 blocks from the company's location.

47-1 Reprogramming Kit™
With Gear Command™
Fits all C4 1967-69
https://transgo.com/product-details/47-1/

47-2 Reprogramming Kit™
With Gear Command™
Fits all C4 1967-69
https://transgo.com/product-details/47-2/
  • Has slightly firmer shifts than above #47-1 Kit
Also since your Car is Supercharged you could also use this VBP-Vac Kit to protect the Vacuum Modulator .
https://transgo.com/product-details/vacuum-bypass-kit/

I am glad you like the results. First things you should do is put on the check valve for the C4. Second is a boost.gauge. All you need is a plastic y on your vacuum line from the parts store.

Very cool project. As someone who's getting started with an old Ford six, it's inspiring to see what everyone is doing with their own projects.

Yes that would be a good time to fix the Selector seal too. There are 2 TransGo Shift Improver Kits available for the 1967 to 1969 C4 Select Shift Valve Body's and a third that turns it into a Manual Valve Body. I usually also install a small Transmission Cooler too especially in the Hotter Areas like the South West. I have been using them for decades now and even grew up 3 blocks from the company's location.

47-1 Reprogramming Kit™
With Gear Command™
Fits all C4 1967-69
https://transgo.com/product-details/47-1/

47-2 Reprogramming Kit™
With Gear Command™
Fits all C4 1967-69
https://transgo.com/product-details/47-2/
  • Has slightly firmer shifts than above #47-1 Kit
Also since your Car is Supercharged you could also use this VBP-Vac Kit to protect the Vacuum Modulator .
https://transgo.com/product-details/vacuum-bypass-kit/
Bubba who is my go to for the c4 kits? I checked those links & it said they do not sell direct.
Sounds like I need ( want) one after reading the literature ,& my little bit of driveing the car.
Thanks for the info
Wayne

Hi Wanye clark, in the top right hand corner of the above links I posted is a Tab "Where to Buy" by clicking on that shows the Tab "Authorized Distributors". Or in each of those product links is a Tab at top right side of the page "Distributor Part Numbers" if you click on that it also shows all of their Parts Sources. Best wishes.

Wayne did you drop down 1 step to a colder plug and close the plug gap a little?
That would be a no & a no. I have not drove the car much since getting the Paxton online .

I'm not sure if I ever did anything to the plugs from when I first put them in with the Sniper & original points dist . Maybe I'll pull them & have a look .
Got some trans parts & a pressure relief valve coming after reading Bubba's post the other day .

Honestley the car has been running pretty good lately & it seems to be really likeing the Paxton & I have not changed any of my Sniper settings that I had been running before the Paxton .

It's all new to me with my only experience being a turbo 78 Buick Regal I built & drove for awhile 25/30 years back . It's still sitting next door after all these years ,& still broke .The Buick was a let down as it never was what I hoped for where the Mustang is pretty much ok .

Another question. You have the regular 2300 not the Super Sniper right? So no boost options on your handheld.

Well I've had a little drive time with the Paxton . I did order the transgo parts Bubba suggested, installed the pop off valve for the trans modulator only as of now .
So far the 200 seems to really like the Paxton . Yesterday after I put the pop off valve on I reset the idle AFR was set for 14 & running 12 . Today I drove the car to my therphy session for a new knee replacement . First thing I noticed was all my AFR settings are running as I had set them up in the handheld.
The timing also seems to be operaterating in the settings I put in . So far the only thing out of the ordinary is the handheld keeps showing me yellow on the incoming air temp ,about 142 or so which that's it's job .
May wind up with an intercooler before I get to the end on down the road.
If I were to give it( the Paxton) a Score I'd say it's a 10 for that car .the power for me is way more subtle than a turbo ( the super charger is always there )but the overall eng response when driveing is way better than a stock 6 more like a v8. powered Mustang .

Sounds similar to my blown crossflow in operation, I probably have more low rpm torque. Your intake temp of 60c is about what you would expect. If your EFI was upstream of your blower it could be lower due to evaporation of the petrol. 60 isnt that high, sometimes the underbonnet temps could get to that.

Well I've had a little drive time with the Paxton . I did order the transgo parts Bubba suggested, installed the pop off valve for the trans modulator only as of now .
So far the 200 seems to really like the Paxton . Yesterday after I put the pop off valve on I reset the idle AFR was set for 14 & running 12 . Today I drove the car to my therphy session for a new knee replacement . First thing I noticed was all my AFR settings are running as I had set them up in the handheld.
The timing also seems to be operaterating in the settings I put in . So far the only thing out of the ordinary is the handheld keeps showing me yellow on the incoming air temp ,about 142 or so which that's it's job .
May wind up with an intercooler before I get to the end on down the road.
If I were to give it( the Paxton) a Score I'd say it's a 10 for that car .the power for me is way more subtle than a turbo ( the super charger is always there )but the overall eng response when driveing is way better than a stock 6 more like a v8. powered Mustang .
Wayne, really glad for the success of the mod! It's encouraging to see one complete and running in a "normal" street car. So many turbo builds are after big numbers, your build is the level I'd be interested in, so appreciate the thread.
What is your peak boost?

Back