PCV Valve location

So where does this stand tube thing go? It must be missing on all of the engines I have taken apart. Have a picture of one? Is it in the manual? I dont have one handy at the moment.

craigtone":k04xjjgd said:
In some of the changeovers they put an adapter in the road draft tube and the PCV went there allowing the air to vent the crankcase. In the later models, either the PCV valve opening or breather opening should have a stand tube that vents down to the crank.

Pull the valve cover off any modern engine and show me a stand tube? There isnt one. The old draft tube engines, waited until there was enough pressure built up in the engine to force gasses out of the draft tube. Thats why the sludge buildup, those gasses remained in the engine much longer. Modern PCV engines use vacuum from intake to create a negative pressure in the engine and suck whatever air or gasses out on a regular basis. Hot gasses rise, and everything is hot in an engine that runs any length of time. So all hot gasses make way to the valve cover where they are drawn off. Incoming air from the breather is cooler and sinks. If anything, since hot gas rises, you would ideally I suppose want the air breather intake on the side of the block and the pcv on the valve cover. In reality it just doesnt matter that much if connection is made on the valve cover or the side of the block.... as long as a slight negative pressure is produced inside the engine.

On a worn engine, more blowby escapes the cylinders into the crankcase and overwhelms what the PCV can draw off and get rid of.

Back