All Small Six Reasonable expectations on power for a 200ci

This relates to all small sixes

SCCARob

Hi everyone! I hope that I can ask something that might be really silly, but after reading through the forums and the tech articles from the classic inlines archive. I was wondering what a reasonable explanation of power would be with the following build:

-200ci block (also would a 250 be better overall?)
-2v direct mount modded and cleaned up Large log head
-9.5-10:1 compression
-Headers
-2300 Holley or 2300 sniper efi
-CSC 274-12 HSP cam
-High performance ignition

I am well aware of the flow limitations of the log head and with the lack of availability of the vintage inline head or the 250-2v Aussie and want to understand what a reasonable explanation would be giving the more commonly available pieces.

what I am looking for is a character similar to that of a Nissan 240z in a 67 mustang with a Ford inline, smooth idle and power delivery that wants to rev out a bit (6200-6500max) and have a sporty and willing nature behind a t5 and 3.50 gears. With all the brake and suspension upgrades available, it should be able to give the Miata and BRZ/GR86 crowd a good run for their money.....maybe a slow driver in a V8 mustang or Camaro on a short track too :)

Since HP is a function of torque and RPM, simply reving it up to 6000-6500 gives more HP ( as long as the torque doesn't fall off.) You plans would seem to support that greater RPM. Remember, an engine is basically and air pump--get the air in and get it back out.
Don't forget light-weight valve keepers.

Something's odd about Dyno #9? HP and TQ should be exactly equal at 5252 rpm (it's math). This shows 11hp down at 5250 rpm (-2 rpm). Anyone know what's up there? Typo?

No log head is going to run like the L series datto engine, its SOHC to start with. If you want to get close in a ford go for the 4 litre SOHC six from Australia. However if you want a good torquey six and keep your 200 (really dont know why you would when a 250 is tonnes better) then you really need to get a good head, 2v or cross flow at least. See what Mustang six did with a crossflow 250 EFI, that would eat a datto six.

With your eng build run the 2300 Sniper & a Hyper spark dist along with an intank efi pump . You'll be surprised what you motor will be like .

Do you know if that was wheel or crank numbers, I can't find a note about it? It seems like wheel to me but the graph is interesting to look at.
Horse Power and Torque numbers are at the Rear Wheels unless otherwise noted is posted on there.

Back