• Who is interested in placing an order for an M 189 manifold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who is interested in placing an order for an M 190 manifold

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Anonymous

OK here's an update on the manifolds form Lynx for the Stromberg and Dellorto/Weber side drafts for both the log heads and the 250 2V owners. The good news is for the log head owners interested in side draft carbs. I assume this manifold works like the Offenhouser set-up but for side draft carbs, either Strombergs or Dellorto/Webers (high coolness factor). Lynx has about a dozen of each in stock (see below). The 250 2V manifolds are out of stock and will require a 20 unit minimum purchase. In either case Lynx is recommending that we combine our orders and work through their US distributor to get the maximum savings on freight. So here’s the question: Who is interested in placing an order for a side draft manifold? Is a group buy possible?

This is the message I received from Brad at Lynx:
Regarding the manifold part numbers, here is the stock situation at Lynx, AU:
M 058 – 11 in stock, (this is the log head manifold for 3 Dellorto/Webers list Price: AU $383.24 US $222.27)
M 060 – 12 in stock, (this is the log head manifold for 3 SUs list price AU $371.69 US $215.57)
M 189 – nil, (this is the 2V head manifold for 3 SUs list price AU $350.68 US $203.39)
M 190 – nil, (this is the 2V head manifold for 3 Dellorto/Webers list Price: AU $361.02 US $209.39)

Due to economies of scale, we need a minimum of 20 of each number before we will remake them. We could make just one, but the price would be the same as 20. Don, can you look at getting an order together from other club members to try to come up with numbers that make the exercise feasible? For convenience, I would suggest that you liaise with Paul Simoes in the US in this regard.

Unlike the Offy setup, the triples here are synchronous.

If "Florida Slim" saw one of the SU type jobbies, what would his thoughts be on a small local casting run? Much as I "root" for Oz, LYNX have made no new friends since their early '90s rationalisation, and loyalty may be misplaced.

SU/CD type carbs will offer better clearance in early Falcons and Mustangs. I have just received an email from John Mc, replying to some questions asked about CD type carbs.

One of the points he stressed was that the development of the airflow into the carb will greatly affect its performance. Basically - get it right, and the maximum flow will increase significantly above that for an undeveloped flow. Hence the clearance aspect. Shame, 'cos the webers win hands-down for "cool".

And a general note: I haven't tried it, but feel it should be possible to modify a stock head to run 2V manifolds of whatever type. Just need half a day on the mill with a dead head to be certain. In other words, an unlimited supply of 2V heads - this would support the sales of various manifolds.

Regards, Adam.

Before I commit I will need to see a pic of the manifold. I remember the string when this was first mentioned and tried to locate a pic or discription but was unsuccedful. Can you provide a link to what these manifolds look like.

Thanks in advance, Ric.

66200i6":1d71zqhv said:
Before I commit I will need to see a pic of the manifold. I remember the string when this was first mentioned and tried to locate a pic or discription but was unsuccedful. Can you provide a link to what these manifolds look like.

Thanks in advance, Ric.
Ric,
I found the following pics of the SU manifold for the 250 2V head. A dark picture with a close-up of the top of the manifold:
http://www.fordsix.com/Pre_250_IV_SU_Plate.jpg
See the last picture at the bottom of this site (nice Job Mike):
http://www.fordsixparts.com/Engine.htm
AZCoup’s engine with triple SU’s (what can I say, I want to be like Mike):
http://pages.prodigy.net/winterboer1/_wsn/page4.html
Not a Lynx manifold, but still a triple SU. Notice the longer intake manifold may have interference issues with the shock tower on some models:
http://www.fordsix.com/200_XP_3X_SU.jpg
I know there are other pics out there of the triple Dellorto/Weber Lynx manifold set-up, but I'll leave that to someone else.

That last picture mentioned is the LYNX conversion manifold.

I have been told that triple 2" carbs (HS8, IIRC) will work fine, possibly better than HS6s. Certainly not worse. They all bolt up the same.

Calcs have shown that a 221 with 3×HS6 should crack 225 HP at the flywheel, so a 200 will do pretty well.

Remember, a GM 202 cube six running triple CD175s caned a whole bunch of V8s in Australia's most famous track race. Siamese ports and all.

Adam.

Ragtopman":2lwxcy6y said:
I assume this manifold works like the Offenhouser set-up
addo":2lwxcy6y said:
Unlike the Offy setup, the triples here are synchronous. Regards, Adam.
Adam,
I was referring to how the log would have to be machined and drilled to accept the M 058 and M 060 manifolds much like the Offy, except on the side of the log. Now I'm thinking that if I can't get an M 189 manifold for my 2V head, I'll get an M 058 for the log head and keep the Holley 7448 2 bbl on the 2V head. ;)

I've got a pretty large copy of that photo of the '63 Oz Falcon with triples. Looking closely, it's hard to tell how the mounting plate is affixed, but I am guessing it's brazed. Certainly more to it than the Offenhauser. But far greater potential. The centre carb mouth is perilously close to the body brace. That's where the 2V style unit wins out, for clearance.

Looking at the old pic, I sometimes wonder if there's a poor Austin-Healey running around with a single 1100 on it. :LOL:

Adam.

Mike, I can just imagine the jaws dropping when you lift the hood. :shock: The guys with cookie cutter V8 swaps probably hate you. :D

What's the performance like with the SU's?

Jack,

I haven't had it running yet with the trips. To much to do and not enough time. I need to make a spacer to go between the manifold and the head as the first carb only clears the header by an 1/8 inch or so. I will be pulling it back off this weekend so that I can get the header out and Jet-Hot coated next week. Also going to make up a heat shield and have it coated as well. Then after bolting it all back up, I'll still need to convert to a cable throttle. I'll let you all know how it compares to the Holley when she's done. In the mean time, here's some more pics.

8x6carbclearance.JPG

8x6topoftrips.JPG

8x6headsideofmanifold.JPG

8x6trips-driversideangle.JPG

8x6trips-passsideangle.JPG

Here's some specs of a 200-cube, triple carbed six:
These are from http://www.holden.itgo.com/main.html

LJ Torana GTR XU1
(1972 - 1974) Bathurst version
Price at introduction: $3455 '72 ($3550 '73)
Engines: 202 (3300 litre) six-cylinder,inline
Bore & Stroke: 3.625" (92.1mm) X 3.25" (82.5mm).
Compression ratio: 10.3:1
OHV, 2 Valves per cylinder, 9 port head,
Triple 175CD Stromberg side-draft carburettors
Camshaft special (HX see below)
Power output: 190bhp (141.7kW) @ 5600rpm.
**(HDT Bathurst cars were approx. 190hp rear wheels, approx. 230+ bhp)
Torque: 200lb/ft (270Nm) @ 4000rpm.
Transmission: Four-speed manual
Performance: 138 mph @ 6500 rpm
Quarter mile: 13.5 seconds
Dimensions: Length - 4387mm, Width - 1600mm, Wheelbase - 2540mm
Fuel Tank: 77 litres

Here's an engine like Mike's, but back-to-front:
http://holden.itgo.com/torana/xu1engine.jpg

Regards, Adam.

Hi Guys,

I got into this subject late. I don't visit the little 6 section often enough.

So Mike, are you saying that the carbs need to be moved out a little farther? How far?

Is there any heat going into that intake? I don't think I see any.

Mike, is there any changes that You would like to see in the design?

Let's talk about it. Send me an email floridaphatman@yahoo.com

John

Needs 1/2" spacer (half the clearance to shock tower) No provision for manifold heat (I'm not worried about heat, just A/C) Not much one could do to change the design other than adding heat, but that would be cost prohibitive.

Next step is designing a custom air cleaner for cold air intake. 8)

Cold Air Intake?

Piece of cake "IF" you have an air cleaner off of an old XKE and space the carbs to match.
Well now that was a lot easier said than done.

Are there any other cars that used triple SU's?

John

AzCoupe,

Is your hood scoup functional? If so couldnt you design ducting that would dump cold air on top of your airfilters? Remember the twin hood scoups on early 70s Darts and Dusters? They had a hole in the hood just forward of the aircleaner opening, clean, simple, and effective. Your engine looks great, a polished case on the alt would finish it off nicely.

Mike,

Another idea for better air:

Why not make an enclosed aircleaner out of sheel metal in a rectangle that will enclose all three intakes and then pipe that into some cold air intake (either your hood or from the front). Clearance with the headers will still be an issue.

Slade

Looks like this subject died with one vote for each manifold and since we needed an order of 20 to get the 250 2V head manifolds produced those are a dead issue. If those that are interested in the log head side draft manifold send me an email, I'll give you the contact information on the US rep. Since they are in stock, he should be able to help you.

Hey Don,

There has been a fair number of PM's flying around on this one.
I'm waiting for the design specs and drawings to be mailed to me from one of the members.
If you can wait untill late summer/early fall time frame then I can get a semi-finished one, it will need a little machining, to you.
I'm working 7 days a week right now and don't have the time. :(

Once I can get back to casting it won't take very long to wip out 5 or 6 of them. You would just pay freight. :)

For me casting is fun and the intakes are a good exercise in skill.

I wish that some one would send me their design for a super charger bracket/mount so I could work on that one too.

Be patient, John

John,
That sounds wonderful. I owe you a cup of coffee :LOL:
I'll PM you latter, time to go home now.

Thanks,

Back